X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superstator
    2nd Gear
    • Aug 2008

Big end journal damage

My engine threw a rod at some point before I owned it, and I'm trying to decide what if anything to do about the damage to the crank... I doubt a regrind would get it all out, and other than the gouges to the #1 journal everything is in great shape with very little wear. Thoughts? I don't have a ton of rebuilding experience so i'm not sure if this is no big deal, or what.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5408.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	171335
    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.
  • albersj51
    5th Gear
    • May 2010

Unfortunately, you won't know for sure without a micrometer. If it's all apart, I'd take it to a machinist along with the green Bible so they can measure it and compare it with the factory specs and minimums.

Comment

• busboy
      2nd Gear
      • Nov 2012

If that one spot is below limits it could be spray welded then reground, take it to a place that regrinds cranks, they will have all the specs and can supply new bearings to fit the reground crank.
      1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Comment

• gudjeon
        5th Gear
        • Oct 2006

I have had spray welding done before on crank (not LR). it worked great and essentially made it brand new reground and polished to original dimensions.

Comment

• superstator
          2nd Gear
          • Aug 2008

I will look into spray welding and regrinding. Too bad, I was actually getting some momentum built back up reassembling the thing!

Thanks for the info
          '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.

Comment

Working...