PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fuel Tank '73 Series III 88" - have some questions.

K Madigan
11-24-2012, 11:09 AM
My old fuel tank sprung a leak so I purchased a new one from our hosts with the hopes of a Thanksgiving weekend project. I have run into two snags that I was hoping someone may help shed some light on.

1. I tried putting the fuel sender unit in the new tank, however the 6 small screws do not seem to be the same thread/size?? as the original. I had purchased new ones for this overhaul and they too do not seem to fit (the are identical to the originals). The screws begin to thread however they meet resistance and I do not wish to strip them out. Anyone heard of a new size screw for the fuel sender unit?

2. I have spent the last hour trying to install the fuel filler hose to no avail. The angle that the hose goes through the tub makes getting it onto the neck of the fuel tank impossible (at least in my case). I have tried warming the hose with the wifes hair dryer, to make it more pliable, but still not luck.

Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

jonnyc
11-24-2012, 11:30 AM
My sympathies, I have replaced tanks twice.
Unfortunately, both times it was a simple in and out with all the same hardware, sender, and tubing. I'm not sure what is accounting for your troubles.
Are you sure it's the right tank?

busboy
11-24-2012, 04:16 PM
What with BA, BSF, BSW, UNF, UNC and Metric who knows what thread the original ones were or even the replacement. I think you can rule out the BA, BSF, BSW and UNC on the replacement one. As for the fuel filler hose I find a little WD 40 sprayed inside helps it go on easier, there is no pressure involved so no worries about it blowing off.

K Madigan
11-25-2012, 06:16 AM
After a new perspective from a neighbor down the road, along with some additional muscle. The hose is now in place. I did put a little lube on the inside to help it slide on.

As for the Screw size. I discovered the new screws are 3/32 which is different than the originals. Thank goodness the local hardware store had 6 in stock.

Thanks for the suggestions. Crisis averted, now just need to put the small pieces back together and put some fuel in it to test it out.