PDA

View Full Version : merceded powered 109

om617
05-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Any suggestions re: extended front spring hangers on a 109 SW. I am in the early stages of converting to a 5 cyl Mercedes TD engine. The engine is almost rebuilt and I have purchased an adaptor plate from Jim @ SeriesTrek. I am installing extended shackles and looking for an opinion whether to fabricate my own extended hangars or are they available somewhere. thanks from N.E Ct.

KingSlug
05-28-2007, 07:51 PM
All of them stock mil/1 ton series rover spring hangers. Cut yours off, weld theirs on. 2" of clearance. Done.

om617
05-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. In particular, I am looking for the front spring hangers, the rears will be simple to fabricate myself. My chassis is galv and I am not looking forward to attaching weldments and re-galv. Ever heard of any hangars that are SECURELY fastened with mechanical fasteners.

KingSlug
05-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Spring hangers need to be welded. Period. Weld the front hangers, spray with glavy paint and silver. I have a set of front 1 ton spring hangers I bought from Designa Chassis.

Maybe this... Get parabolics, reweld the spring perch on the axles to correct pinion angle and go for mil/1 ton spring shackles. Bam 1" of clearance.

You will be luckier with the 300D than Jim was with the 240D. On the 240d the oil pan and oil pickup near the 3rd member on the RHS, in the 300D the oil pan and pickup in centered on the engine. I have some mockups of a modified oil trays/pans from a 300d/240d Gwagens for the same project. I bailed on the plan to put a 300TD in my Amby and decided on a 4BT cummins (amby weight was too much), but still have the Gwagen oil trays/pans/pumps, 300d flywheels and clutches; just waitng for the next project.

How are you solving the rear clearance problem on the bulkhead? Is yours a 6Cyl 109 SW?

om617
05-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I am still working on the bulkhead clearance issue i.e remote oil filter housing and altering bulkhead itself.I am also playing with electric fans to reduce clearance to radiator. The oil pan issue seems to be getting closer to being resolved with extended shackles & hangers w/ some minor trimming of oil pan etc.The limiting factor on the trimming of the oil pan is the return oil line from the turbo but this just might get relocated. Hopefully this will someday be complete and then I can decide which of my other vehicles needs a new home. (101FC or Unimog 404)

Willard
05-30-2007, 01:29 AM
I am about to do the exact same mod.
I have a 617.951 MB Engine. My Series is a former FFR and i seem to have 2 positions for spring mounts for the rear and front Lower holes seem to be for the stock suspention. Upper holes are about 1-1 1/2 " hight then the stock holes. When i got my frame this was noticed as one of the outriggers needed to be replaced and the new spring hanger did not match.

I to will be altering my bulkhead to fit this engine, so i will be interesting.

I would go with the electric fan. I am going to go this route and have in the past without any problems. Just remember to wire in a shut off switch if you ever do water crossings.

om617
05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Willard, congrats on the interesting project. What mods to the bulkhead are you planning on your engine conversion. Have you sourced a flywheel yet?:thumb-up: