PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 petrol Valve springs... double vs single

Revtor
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
My head is at the machine shop, it needed some work. I got replacement valve springs (allmakes) they are single wound, my machinist says the ones that were in there are double wound. Should I be worried? Are these single springs not as god? approved replacements?? Should I tell him to move on or should I find some double springs?

thanks a lot guys for any knowledge on this.

~Steve

Revtor
12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Okay according to Turner, the double wound springs haven't been available since the 80's. The current single wound ones are the way to go. My shop measured everything up and they installed without a hitch. Hopefully the quality (allmakes) is okay and there is no breakage and resulting carnage.

Getting that head back on soon!

!~Steve

busboy
12-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I agree going with the single springs there is half as many to have problems with. Double valve springs are often used in high performance engines to eliminate valve spring bounce when the engine is revving very high, not the case with our engines. lol

I Leak Oil
12-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Ya, Steve, you won't need to worry about valve float in your steam engine!

Revtor
12-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Not worried about it, just wanted to get the right springs!! Besides valve float, double springs provide an added degree of safety in that if one spring breaks, the other keeps the valve from crashing your piston..

I got the head back, it looks great.. Time to paint it up and bolt it down!!! Do the head bolts reach into the water jacket? sealant on the threads?

~Steve

Revtor
12-05-2012, 07:10 AM
double post sorry!

I Leak Oil
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
No sealant.

Revtor
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks Jason.