i got an extra fan and pulley but can't ffigure out
how it was done.
can anyone help me with tthis I want to get
this engine in for winter romp
thanks
aaron

SafeAirOne
12-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Brett (Moose) did it. He has pics on this board somehwere. IIRC, it's part of his 2.5 conversion thread, so it should be easy to find via the search feature.

SafeAirOne
12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
OK...maybe it isn't so easy to find that post. It took me WAY too long because it was burried in the "What Did You Do To Your Rover Today?" thread:

vvvvvvvvv Click on the line below, which doesn't look like a link, but rather just another line of text, but really IS a link. vvvvvvvvv

http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?8658-What-did-you-do-to-your-Rover-today&p=54963#post54963

73series88
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
ok
im gonna tear into that when i get home
thanks
aaron

73series88
12-06-2012, 04:07 PM
7449yeh i must have a different pump
i dont see how he set that up with the one i have
heres mine and heres his
aaron

east high
12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Looks like the same pump to me. In his post he said he cut a hole big enough for the threaded end of the pump nose to pass through the pulley and fan, then drilled four smaller holes to mount the pulley and fan to the pump flange.

73series88
12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
The hole on the pulley and fan are way bigger
Than the threaded end of the pump and the flange is just a little bigger than the hole in the puley
definatly not big enough to drill through
Aaron

SafeAirOne
12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Huh. Haven't seen a fan attachment like that before. Was there a fan that came with it? WHat does that look like?

BTW, If you take a cutoff wheel to that stud sticking out of the pulley, I suspect you'll be able to accomplish your mission, but verify this by examining your stuff first.

SafeAirOne
12-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Never mind--I found a pic of the left side of the engine and it's viscous fan. WHat was that engine out of? I know it has the military timing cover and case, but the engine mount on the left side is not a normal 2.5 mount and there's an unusaul plate nutted to the top of the valve cover, plus an unusual rubber intake hose.

73series88
12-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I don't know
Aaron

Moose
12-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Well, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I don't remember exactly how the fan was swapped. That was over two years ago now I think. I was just out to take a look under the hood but can't see any more then in the picture. There is obviously something behind there for the fan to bolt on to and I seem to remember a round flange sort of thing. You don't seem to have that on your water pump. The spacing was a bit off hence the four new holes for the bolts. I will see if I can't remove the fan over the weekend to shed more light on the set up.

Brett

73series88
12-08-2012, 05:43 AM
That would be great if its to much trouble
Thanks so much
Aaron

Moose
12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
OK, here is a pic of with the fan removed. Looks a lot different then yours. This was a new pump bought a year or so before the swap. It is a 2.5 NA diesel water pump so maybe yours came off something else. Mine originally had the viscous fan but I removed all that down to that flange, then modified the old 2.25 petrol fan and simply bolted it up. Dead easy mod and totally eliminates the need to go electric.

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt190/wolfe88/DSCN3345.jpg

BTW Arron, I was going to say you owed me big time for the hassle, but while I was mucking about under the hood I discovered why the alt. light has been flickering. The belt was way loose and the bolt holding the adjusting bracket to the block was about to fall out. So turned out to be time well spent.

Anyway, good luck with the swap.

Brett

SafeAirOne
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
If I would have known that's the picture you were going to get Brett, I could have saved you the trouble--I have a 2.5 viscous water pump sitting on a shelf, with all the other parts of my disassembled engine.

Well, at least you found that loose bolt.

Out of curiosity, how did you enlarge the center hole on the fan so it would fit around the viscous fan threads on the pump? In other words, how did you keep it perfectly centered and cut it out?

Incidentally Aaron, I googled 2.5 diesel rover and sherpa water pump images and NONE of them look like your fan attach. Weird.

Moose
12-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Grrr. Taking the fan off was easy peasy. Getting it all back together was a pain in the butt. Trying to hold the pulley and fan together and in place while trying to find the hole in the flange was an exercise in futility. Could have use a third and possibly forth hand. Then I finally got smart and cut the head off a spare bolt to use as an aligning stud and it went back together nice and slick.

Not too sure how the hole in the fan was cut. We did the engine conversion at my fiends shop. He is a metal fabracator and has a nice selection of welders and machines. He did the mod while I was busy with something else. I will ask because, well, I really should know myself.

Brett

73series88
12-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks so much
Yeh my pump is definatly different
Guess lll just pickup a non viscuse 2.5 pump
I assume that should work?
Sorry for any hassle
Thanks
Aaron

Jim-ME
12-10-2012, 03:03 AM
Aaron,
I believe that when Matt did mine, he got a non-viscous pump, fan and the rest of the necessary bits from RN. If not from RN then RDS.
Jim

73series88
12-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Great
Thanks guys
I'm going to start a tread here soon on the fitting
Aaron