PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

kellgallaher
12-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Ok, here's the short of it. I have a 1970 IIA RH drive with a Perkins
dieselhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f7/what-would-you-do-60308/#). Runs well.. but leaks some. The Rover is in awesome shape and I thought that keeping the original power
planthttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f7/what-would-you-do-60308/#) etc would be
coolhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f7/what-would-you-do-60308/#) for extended weekend photography trips.. etc. HOWEVER.... I am newbie to all this so I am rethinking how slow ( like 45-50 ) the Rover is and sort of smokey too.. so IF I was to upgrade the power plant, gearbox, diffs..etc. what would be a solid set up? Thanks!!!!

o2batsea
12-06-2012, 02:28 PM
200 Tdi, "Stumpy" R380, LT230 1.2, X-Brake, early RRC or D1 diffs, 109 brakes and wheels, 235/85-R16 DuraTracs, parabolics, Bilsteins.
You'll need to modify the breakfast to accommodate the Disco rad/IC, install new motor mounts, delete the under trans cross-member, new trans mounts, cable operated throttle. There's a little more to it but that's the basics. You can cruise comfortably at 70 with this and not lose very much in your low range.

kellgallaher
12-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Jim-ME
12-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Consider an overdrive.
Jim

stomper
12-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Since you are looking for suggestions, I'll give you mine. Buy a different truck. Land Rovers are what they are, and there are many other vehicles you could choose if you are looking for something different. An early Ford Bronco, and International Scout, even a CJ jeep. Sinking the kind of money you are suggesting into a Series Land Rover when you are not even sure if it is a series IIa or a Series III doesn't sound like a reasonable investment to me.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you asked for opinions, so I am just pointing out the elephant in the room that no one is talking about, but everyone sees.

busboy
12-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Here is what I did do a couple of years ago. I bought my sons 2006 Jeep TJ Sport from him the plan being to sell my 1971 2a 88 and man was it nice to drive, smooth, fast and comfortable, only draw backs were the rag top took too long to put up and when you hooked a heavy trailer to the front of it, it buried the thing, the coil suspension just couldn't take what the Landrover leaf springs can so the Jeep was gone and I gave my Landrover it's 40th birthday present... a make over. Unless you are going to hook heavy trailers to the front the Jeep TJ is an excellent choice.

LaneRover
12-07-2012, 02:50 PM
He did ask IF he was to upgrade . . .

But I must also agree that before you upgrade and spend a whole lot of cash try an overdrive. Is there someone nearby that has an a Rover with an overdrive you can try to at least see the gearing difference? Conversely you could also try to go with the different diffs but that might hurt low end performance too much.

busboy
12-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I can tell you about the Fairey overdrive I installed about 30 years ago. Simple to install but you must keep an eye on the oil level as it doesn't hold much. They say that it splits the gears but I only use mine after fourth gear when I'm up to speed 50 plus mph, wound right out it will do 70-75mph on a good day but a slight incline and you are changing out of overdrive as the gas engine doesn't have the power. Around town if I leave it engaged I find the pickup from a standing start is too slow and going round a corner in second with it engaged has the engine rpm too low.

I Leak Oil
12-07-2012, 03:36 PM
What do you want out of it? You have to know that before anyone can give you good advice. Besides Stomper's that is...

1971Series88
12-08-2012, 08:01 AM
rocky mountain overdrive....DONE

kellgallaher
12-08-2012, 09:11 AM
74667467 Maybe you can help. I know the grill is a III, the gear box is not synched in R, 1 or 2.. Im pretty sure that was pre Series III. The truck gas no side markers on the fendes. The dash looks like a III, title says IIA 1970... but had not been titles in 15 years. Right hand drive. Engine is Perkins 2.25 I guess I cold have better stated it. " I just want to make this truck so I can travel a few days at a time on back roads and not become a road block to others" Also enjoy a few days out at a time. I live in GA, and lots of mountains in my area. This was my first project and I was really caught off guard on HOW slow that Perkins diesel is.
Thanks

Since you are looking for suggestions, I'll give you mine. Buy a different truck. Land Rovers are what they are, and there are many other vehicles you could choose if you are looking for something different. An early Ford Bronco, and International Scout, even a CJ jeep. Sinking the kind of money you are suggesting into a Series Land Rover when you are not even sure if it is a series IIa or a Series III doesn't sound like a reasonable investment to me.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you asked for opinions, so I am just pointing out the elephant in the room that no one is talking about, but everyone sees.

kellgallaher
12-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks, what sort of increase in road speed can I expect with the Perkins?

I Leak Oil
12-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Are you sure it's a Perkins? If so, do you know what model? Perkins has made lots of different engines.

Jim-ME
12-08-2012, 10:10 AM
If you are considering an OD I'd say 10 mph.
Jim

Revtor
12-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Think of an OD also in terms of "how much lower RPM will my engine be spinning at cruising speed" A Roamerdrive is what you want.

This is a series rover - unless you seriously upgrade the drivetrain, its not a highway machine!

If I was going to modernize I'd fit a modern gas V6 or a Cummins b3.3turbo, and a 5 speed with ratios to suit. The engine bay isn't that big, and Id try to use an engine of a similar weight to the stocker. V-8's have been done of course but IMO, the trucks don't need that much help.

have fun
~Steve

bkreutz
12-08-2012, 02:16 PM
74667467 Maybe you can help. I know the grill is a III, the gear box is not synched in R, 1 or 2.. Im pretty sure that was pre Series III. The truck gas no side markers on the fendes. The dash looks like a III, title says IIA 1970... but had not been titles in 15 years. Right hand drive. Engine is Perkins 2.25 I guess I cold have better stated it. " I just want to make this truck so I can travel a few days at a time on back roads and not become a road block to others" Also enjoy a few days out at a time. I live in GA, and lots of mountains in my area. This was my first project and I was really caught off guard on HOW slow that Perkins diesel is.
Thanks

With RHD it's obviously not a US market model so a lot of the identifying features may not hold true. The side marker lights were added because of US DOT regs, The US dash may have been installed in a ROW(rest of world) vehicle before they were in a US only model. Or, someone may have used a IIA serial number to register a "less than legal" importation. Lots of possibilities here. Overdrives don't always give you more top speed, it really depends on the engine power at certain RPM ranges.

o2batsea
12-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Don't be mislead. An Overdrive, if used on hills, will actually SLOW the vehicle considerably. A Fairey overdrive will self destruct sooner or later.

busboy
12-08-2012, 06:17 PM
As some might know a UK license plate is issued to the vehicle when new and stays with it forever. In late 1961 they added an "A" to the end going from 6 digits to 7. As it was late in the year very few vehicles that year got the "A" but 1962 was a "B" so 1968 was an "H" the same as what's on the front of this one. What seems odd is the fact so many things say series 3. Perhaps the PO liked the look of the series 3 and changed over the mirrors and door hinges, the dash and grill, I don't think in 68 they had the dual circuit power brakes like this one does.
As for the Fairey OD like I said earlier you have to keep oil in it, a good synthetic GL-5 works wonders mind you mine is only around 30 years old.

Seems my memory is not as good as it was because I remember owning a "C" and a "G", "C" being 1965 so it was 1963 the "A" was introduced and "G" being 1969, so "H" IS 1970.

ArlowCT
12-08-2012, 07:41 PM
You should look into rebuilding a original 2.25 gas motor and adding a overdrive if you are looking for a "easy" stock fix. We have three series trucks (2 88's and a 109) and all three will cruise all day long at 70-75mph on the highway. With overdrives the 88's return up to 18mpg, I've had a lot newer trucks that do much worse than that. I live in CT and drive the rovers through the madness of the city with no problem. Never once have I felt unsafe due to not being able to keep up with traffic or being able to stop in time. Look into a power brake booster too (if you don't have one already), that and a well maintained braking system are key to keeping these trucks safe.

I find the original 2.25 gas motor to be a great match for the truck. One problem comes due to the fact they can be very forgiving and run well past when they should have given up and died. This is a great feature in the bush but not ideal on I-95. This leads to slow trucks and bad performance. A well built (stock) motor will provide years and years of reliable service and in my mind should not be overlooked.

Good luck!

kellgallaher
12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Good information. Thanks!

kellgallaher
12-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Very helpful. Thank you.

ArlowCT
12-09-2012, 12:23 PM
When used correctly on hills a overdrive can actually improve your speed. When the truck is heavily loaded or pulling a trailer sometimes 3ed gear overdrive is the perfect gear. I split gears all the time, with the handle for the overdrive cranked towards the driver and a little practice it can all be done in one move with one hand. Its best only to use in 3ed and 4th where you don't put too much torque on it but I find reverse overdrive to be real handy in the mud. It gets the wheels spinning that much faster to help clear the mud.

Our 109" now has the high ratio transfer case. I do like it but always still reach for the overdrive feeling like I could get more from the truck with it. I think the high ratio box is great if you have a real strong motor, a 88", or really want to eliminate the weak overdrive and can deal with the taller gears.

With all that being said you have to understand them, they are a asset and a weakness. I have blown up two and now travel with the required parts to remove it and run without it.

Good luck!

busboy
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
With all that being said you have to understand them, they are a asset and a weakness. I have blown up two and now travel with the required parts to remove it and run without it. Good luck!
What a good idea to just keep the removed parts under the seat instead of in the shed, I'm relocating mine. Do you think you blew up the two because of lack of lubrication? Mine came new with a sticker for the dash saying to "check the oil level weekly".

ArlowCT
12-09-2012, 08:36 PM
The first one had the drive gear and nut fall off the transmission output shaft. This caused the teeth to get chewed up some as it was most likely loose for some time. It was fully rebuilt with new parts as needed. The other one let go internally. I cant recall what it was because I did not personally rebuilt it. It did have some oil in it at the time and was not run dry but the truck was running a ton of highway miles at that point. It was most likely overheated again and again due to low oil and the maintenance schedule of a 17 year old!

After that lesson learned, I check the oil often and can say this one has been on the truck for almost 12 years now with no issue. But you will always find those replacement parts under the seat in my truck!

emmotto
12-10-2012, 10:16 AM
The first one had the drive gear and nut fall off the transmission output shaft. This caused the teeth to get chewed up some as it was most likely loose for some time. It was fully rebuilt with new parts as needed. The other one let go internally. I cant recall what it was because I did not personally rebuilt it. It did have some oil in it at the time and was not run dry but the truck was running a ton of highway miles at that point. It was most likely overheated again and again due to low oil and the maintenance schedule of a 17 year old!

After that lesson learned, I check the oil often and can say this one has been on the truck for almost 12 years now with no issue. But you will always find those replacement parts under the seat in my truck!

Tell me about the replacement parts.. I bought my truck with the OD installed (Fairey) and don't have the original cover or other required pieces to effect a roadside removal should it fail - what is needed?

busboy
12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
It's been 30 years since I did mine but I think it was just the cover and a single gear, might need a new lock washer.... I'll dig my bits out in the spring and put them under the seat. Could look up the installation instructions, that might help.