PDA

View Full Version : 2A jammed in low range

StX_Rovers
12-09-2012, 01:12 PM
My wife was heading into the university this afternoon in her 67 88 when it stuck in low range. Vehicle drives fine, just can not disengage low range. Any ideas on where to start checking? I have not tried much beyond rocking the vehicle back and forth to see if that helps, which it did not. It does have a habit of popping our of high range right after switching from low range to high range, but a quick push back into high range and it will stay there , it does not keep on popping out. Have not pulled anything apart, have to go back up to our house build site to finish up a repair to the main sewer drain line (kinda critical). WIll see what the car moving does in terms of freeing up. After that I think dropping the transfer case bottom plate and see what I can see. It is almost as if it went too far, maybe the spring loaded pin went south?

Best regards, Dave

busboy
12-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Needs a bit of lube on the linkage where it goes into the transfer case, mine stuck once after a pressure wash with the body off.

StX_Rovers
12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Needs a bit of lube on the linkage where it goes into the transfer case, mine stuck once after a pressure wash with the body off.
I will certainly try that. We go in and out of low range every day but it is a muddy road and it certainly can't hurt.

SafeAirOne
12-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Also check to see that the shift rod dust cap isn't damaged. If it's all bent up, the rods won't fit properly. Item 26 here (click me, I'm a link). (http://shop.roversnorth.com/Products.aspx?code=54&key=cat)

StX_Rovers
12-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Well, found out a bit more. Discovered that if I push down the yellow knob when in low range, the red lever pops forward. Something is hanging up in the four wheel drive dog then. It has been a while since I last had one apart so had to refresh my memory but I can see how pushing down on the yellow knob would allow the red lever to move forward if the four wheel drive dog is hanging up. However, the car is still in four wheel drive which is a problem on the pavement, such as it is here. I guess the next thing is to pull the dust cover as suggested and see if that is causing any problems, although it looked fine you never know. maybe there is some corrosion or galling where the shaft goes through the front of the case. I suppose one of the springs on the shaft could have failed too. The green bible says to pull the transfer case to remove the front output but I bet I can get creative if necessary and forego that step. This poor little Land Rover has worked so hard with being the one car and building a house on a mountainside. Michelle calls the new house the Rover Spa (downstairs is 880 ft^2 garage with 660 ft^2 house on top) and says her car gets a good long visit to the spa when we finally move in.

StX_Rovers
12-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Seem to have figured it out. After much struggle to get the driver's side floorboard up, we took apart the linkage enough to get the front dust cover off. Gave the four wheel drive shaft a tap and it suddenly slid back. Sprayed a bunch of spray lubricant all over it and moved the red lever back and forth multiple times. Now the shaft moves as it should. Thanks for all the help and tips. I think after the years of constant use in our warm salt environment finally enough crud/rust built up even with the daily shifting in and out of low range.

Best, Dave

busboy
12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Good to hear all it needed was a bit of lube, it's amazing how long things last when they have enough lubrication and how short they last when they don't.