PDA

View Full Version : Body/tub lift kit for SIII?

REDrum
12-14-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm considering adding a little lift to my SIII via a raising the body/tub, ~2". I've lifted just the body on other trucks and it met my need/expectation very well. And, I've been around 4X4s long enough to appreciated the secondary ramifications of lifting the chassis vs body..... But, having trouble finding vendors of body kits for Landys.

Ok, fine-fine, it be could just be my horrid search skills. If that is the case, can you help a guy out? Does anyone know of a 2" body lift kit for SIII? Or, is that just not done on Landys?

LaneRover
12-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Though people have lifted the body of Rovers I don't know of a liftkit per se for the body because it is not as simple as just putting in spacers. The way the Rover body attaches there need to be all sorts of different pieces put it in because the body doesn't just drop down and have 'vertical' fasteners, many are horizontal.

o2batsea
12-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Well in addition to looking horrible with a two inch gap between the tub and rear cross member, you will need to sort out the bulkhead foot mount, the steering column, the radiator and grille, and the handbrake among other things. Nobody makes a body lift kit for Series because it's just not something anybody does to their trucks.
Thing is that having to re engineer so much stuff makes it something that you would probably do only when doing a frame swap.
I mean the only reason to do a body lift is to gain tire clearance. There are many ways to achieve that without a body lift.

I Leak Oil
12-14-2012, 11:30 AM
It's not your search skills, it just isn't typical to lift a series rover body. Depending on your welding skills it should be easy enough to simply lift the body. I would think the harder part would be dealing with the steering and gear selectors, parking brake lever, fuel filler. Then if you chose to, making some filler panels to make it look somewhat right.

Post up if you decide to do it. Could be a cool project.

REDrum
12-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys. Sound like a PITA. Think I'll scheme otherwise. Anyone make 235/105/16 mud tires :)

busboy
12-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Years ago I stuck a 109 wagon body with rotted frame on a 1980 110 wheel base Toyota 4X4 truck using the Toyota frame and power train with 33 inch mud tires, looked really wild and would scrape under a 7 foot garage door. I called it a "Toy rover". The transplant was quite simple but the R22 engine was lacking in power.

o2batsea
12-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Parabolics with military shackles will get you an easy 2-3 inches. You can run 9.00x16 tires.

jac04
12-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Parabolics with military shackles will get you an easy 2-3 inches. You can run 9.00x16 tires.

You will most likely need to look into pinion wedges (at least for the front) if you go this route.

Another option is to relocate (lower) the spring mounts at the front of each spring in combination with extended military shackles.