PDA

View Full Version : New and Have Some Questions

CKubinec
12-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello everyone, I've been researching many of the posts on this forum but have found a couple questions I can't answer. I purchased a LR 1961 2A 88" a few months ago. I got it pretty cheap and there are lots of reasons for the low price. It had been setting in a barn for at least 10 years and needs lots of tinkering. I got it running quite well but the clutch is doing something odd. The clutch pedal pushes down fairly hard and clutch takes a few seconds to engage after the pedal is let up. I guess I was wondering if anyone has ever had the flexible line going to the slave become swelled to the point that it restricts fluid movement. My second question is about 15" wheels. I only have four and can't find them for sale from the usual places including RN. If anyone knows where to find one or has one they would part with please let me know. I have never posted anything before so I hope this all comes out right. Thanks for listening.

albersj51
12-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Welcome!

If the flexline is old and has not been changed, perhaps the inside has started disintegrating and created a restriction. Are you sure there is no air in the system?

Jim-ME
12-20-2012, 03:49 AM
I would replace the clutch flex line out of principle because the truck sat so long. I've got some spare 15" wheels. Where are you located?
Jim

o2batsea
12-20-2012, 06:30 AM
I would replace not only the clutch flex line, I'd do the master and slave cylinders too. Ditto the brakes. Especially the brakes if you plan to drive it.

giftshopduane
12-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Most likely the input shaft flange on the gearbox is corroded and not allowing the release bearing to slide effortlessly over it, or the splines on the input shaft are corroded, resulting in the same action. I have seen cars sit for far longer in worse areas and never seen hoses swollen up. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, nor that the finest materials ever created by man that naturally are used in our Rovers aren't susceptible to deterioration, just never seen it in my professional career in restoration and classic car care (although with cars that sit for a long time I like to change them anyway, cheap and I don't like to take chances). Change the hose though its easiest, then if it doesn't fix the issue you know what to look for next. I would plan to go through the brake hydraulics too.

15" wheels, dime a dozen, I just gave away 2 sets... I prefer 16"

head on over to gunsandrovers.com lots of answers and knowledge, good series guys.

I Leak Oil
12-20-2012, 08:41 AM
The degradation of the flex line is a common issue due to either time or someone using the wrong fluid. This is most likely the issue but I'd follow what others have pointed out and be prepared to address all the rubber components of the hydraulic systems. These don't like to sit and the older rubber doesn't like certain types of brake fluids. It's relatively cheap insurance.

ignotus
12-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Congrats on the 88 and joining the forum. Lots of great info here, and help! I think you have diagnosed correctly the swollen flex line is the likely culprit. That being said and possibly the case, I'd figure the brake flex lines are due for a change too. One other thing that occurs with these components when they sit is corrosion on the inside of the slave/master/wheel cylinders behind the rubber seal and before the piston. This causes the pistons to not function properly(sticky). You might want to replace all the hydraulic components with the possible exception of the hard lines. Blow them out with air and you are probably good. If they are steel they can rust out. Land Rover recommends changing the hyd fluid every 18 months or so. Like Jim-ME says post up where you live and someone near you might have 15" rims to pass along.

gene

CKubinec
12-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Jim-ME - Thanks for the info. I am located near Ithaca NY. Is a wheel something you could put in a box and send. I would be happy to pay whatever the shipping would cost.

CKubinec
12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Many thanks to everyone for all the info. I shall pull at least the hose and the slave and go from there. Thanks again!

busboy
12-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Many thanks to everyone for all the info. I shall pull at least the hose and the slave and go from there. Thanks again!
The clutch master cylinders are cheap to buy, and do corrode internally from sitting, I would change it out at the same time also then if it still sticks you know it's not the hydraulics.

artpeck
12-20-2012, 02:16 PM
To echo eat others have said. Anything with rubber and seals needs to be replaced or rebuild. Master and slave clutch. Master and slaves brakes. The engine will need to be aggressively flushed. Not from the radiator but better from the block cock back out using a hose with a nipple. I suspect the water pump will also leak at the seal and of course all fluids need to be replaced and grease fitting greased.

And I have two 15" wheels if you are interested.

CKubinec
12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Artpeck - Thanks for the advice. I have already replaced the wheel cylinders and you are right about the water pump. The seal was totally shot. I shall end up doing all the things you suggest I am sure. As for the wheels you have I would be interested but the shipping to upstate New York might be pretty steep. For now I shall see if I can find one closer to home. Again thanks for the info!

giftshopduane
12-20-2012, 07:33 PM
There are a handful of Series guys in upstate ny... hit some of the other forums.. they are out there. I might be able to procure a set I go home to Albany quite often, that's as close as I can get them.

nantley79
12-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I asked a similar question a few months ago about my recently purchased SIIA. My symptons were:

I pushed down the clutch and there was no pressure at all. I changed the master (corroded very badly and could not remove the rigid lines without cutting), rigid lines, flex lines, & slave cylinder. I bled the sytem but the pedal seemed to build up pressure until I couldn't push it any longer. Further investigation showed that the slave cylinder was activating the linkage to the clutch, but it was not returning. The linkage from the clutch would not push back on the slave cylinder, so the system was building up pressure. I climbed underneath and was able to manually operate the linkage, and even put it into gear, but it would not push back.

I suspected there was something wrong with the pressure plate, so I planned on pulling the tranny. It ended up being a full day of removing the floor and seat box! I've got it ready to break the gearbox but I haven't gotten to it yet - I've been stuck in NY & NJ working hurricane claims and I don't get home except 1 week per month.

Last time I was home (couple weeks ago) I found a small puddle of antifreeze under the front end. Appears that my water pump seals have finally failed.

I thought I'd share my problems. My biggest being that I don't have the time to work on it!

Oh well - I'm developing a fondness for Yuengling out here on the East Coast!

CKubinec
12-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Nantley79 - Sounds like your problem is simular to mine. I'm hoping it is the hose or the slave. My linkage does work and the clutch engages except it works slowly. I would prefer not to pull the trans if possible. Are you sure your slave is retracting? If not then your problem might be the same as mine. At any rate I wish you luck with your repairs. I originally bought the LR to have something to tinker with in my spare time. Looks like I'm getting my moneys worth.

LC Rover
12-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Have six sixteen inch wheels, mounted with goodyear extragrip tires, that are spare to me....down in Mansfield Pa...little over an hour to u

CKubinec
12-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the reply LC Rover. 16" may be the way I go. Not sure yet but will keep this post in mind. Thanks again!