PDA

View Full Version : Will P.O.R. 15 make it tough to do work in future?

gogo34
12-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Guys:

I've removed both axles on my IIa, removed most of the rust with a wire wheel and now I'm ready to paint them with P.O.R. 15. Before I do that though, I'm wondering if slathering them with the P.O.R. 15 will make it too difficult to work on them in the future, if necessary. Right now, everything seems to work but, in the future if I paint over all the bolts, will it be impossible to remove anything.

How tough is this stuff?

Thanks.

siii8873
12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
tape off the bolts and flanges

Les Parker
12-22-2012, 08:11 AM
How far have you stripped the axle? If you have stripped to a bare axle casing, tape the threads of the diff. bolts, put never sieze on the threads of drain/fill plugs and on re-assemble, also put never sieze on all the spring bolts/U bolts (using new nyloc/self locking nuts, also).
Wear some good gloves and eye protection, that stuff is not easy on the skin !

albersj51
12-22-2012, 01:44 PM
I prefer MasterSeries Coating to POR15 because its UV stable and a little cheaper. A couple of years ago I stripped mine to bare steal and coated them in Master Series. Worked very well. As other have said, tape of anything you don't want painted-welded as this stuff is nasty and strong. Use gloves and make sure the area is well ventilated.

When bleeding my brakes a while back, I spilled some fluid on the axles, which promptly made the spray on black paint bubble and fail in no-time. The MasterSeries didn't flinch. No bubbling, no pulling away or wrinkling.

Good luck.