PDA

View Full Version : Registering a 1978 Series 3 in California

Chris
05-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know what I need to do in order to register my 1978 Royal Army RHD in CA? I have been getting mixed answers from the smog people here. Thanks

zayante
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Diesel or petrol? A petrol, as I understand it, would have to meet the 1978 smog regs and pass the applicable smog test.

fruitpunch
05-30-2007, 09:46 AM
So 1978 would mean on a petrol you need catalytic converters without electronics ....

On a Stage 1 V8 , Range Rover Classic catalytic converters should get you there just plug up the hole for the o2 sensors. But on a 2.25 ?....

greenmeanie
05-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I could be wrong as I am not California but the EPA requirement for imported vehicles more than 25 years old is category E. This means that they only have to meet the values specified for the emissions of year of build. There are no requirements on equipment other than that originally fitted by the manufacturer. No cats should be required although trying to pass may prove difficult. Phone your local DMV and EPA for the particulars of where you live.

Cheers
Gregor

Linus Tremaine
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
As per the above post- I think that is partially true. You wont have to add modern parts to make it pass such as a cat. They will only require you to have parts on it that were there from factory. Here is the catch, it would have to be able to pass smog standards in CA for YOM (1978). Since it was built for another county, it probably was not built with the ability to pass California regulations. This is why there arent very many land rovers from this year range here. They wont pass smog. When you do see one, typically they are registered illegally as older vehicles. Usually people only go through the hassle for vehicles with greater values (defenders) and not series trucks.

I really dont think it is possible to register that truck here. Good Luck!

Mad_Dan_Eccles
06-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Here is the catch, it would have to be able to pass smog standards in CA for YOM (1978). Since it was built for another county, it probably was not built with the ability to pass California regulations. This is why there arent very many land rovers from this year range here. They wont pass smog. When you do see one, typically they are registered illegally as older vehicles. Usually people only go through the hassle for vehicles with greater values (defenders) and not series trucks.

I really dont think it is possible to register that truck here. Good Luck!

Possible but likely to be expensive. If it's direct import from overseas that involves testing at a commercial lab and having any requested modifications made to the emission control systems.

Note that diesel engines have to pass the same tests as gas engines when you import them, but they are not tested every two years at the moment: used cars bought out of state don't have to go through the lab tests but still have to pass smog check every two years.

Momo
06-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Chris,

California will define your LR as a used vehicle (one with 7500 miles or more). That's good.

If it is diesel, it will be smog exempt. Also good.

But here's the sticky part: DMV will most likely define your LR as a "direct import"- a vehicle not originally intended for sale in the US:

Direct Import Vehicle—These vehicles were not originally manufactured to meet federal safety requirements or emission standards and not intended by the manufacturer to be used or sold in the United States.

21.025 Determining the Age of a Direct Import
A direct import vehicle is considered “new” if it enters California or is obtained by a California resident before it is two years old and is considered “used” if it is obtained by a California resident or brought into California by a nonresident after it is two years old. The methods by which the age (not the year model) of a direct import vehicle is determined are as follows:

• First—By the year model indicated in the vehicle identification number (VIN).
• Second—If the VIN does not indicate the year model, the date the manufacturer delivered the vehicle as shown on the foreign titling document is used.
• Third—If the first and second methods cannot be used, the year shown on the foreign titling document is used.
• Last—If none of the options shown above can be applied, the calendar year in which the foreign titling document was issued is used.

21.045 Non-USA Title Branding of Direct Import Vehicles
The department is required to mark the registration and title as “Non-USA” whenever it can determine the vehicle is a direct import, regardless of the year model, and a “Non-USA” notation will appear on the certificates issued.

21.055 Direct Import Vehicle Registration Applications

The registration requirements for a direct import vehicle are:

• A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
• The titling document or a Motor Vehicle Bond.
• A vehicle verification (completed on the back of the REG 343).
• The Customs Entry Summary (if vehicle entered the U.S. prior to July 1, 1988).
• Bill(s) of sale to the importer of record and all subsequent owners.
• The Non-USA Vehicle Certification for vehicles less than two years old, or
The Certificate of Conformance for 1975 or newer year models up to two years old, or the EPA/DOT clearance letters for 1975 or newer year models exempt from the ARB certification.
• A Statement of Facts, New, Nonresident, or Imported Vehicle (REG 256F) is required if qualifying for one of the exemptions and the application does not contain a Non-USA Vehicle Certification (all used direct imports).
• The fees due.

So, if you are a CA resident, they may frown upon you bringing the vehicle in from another state, even if it has out of state registration and smog. Not because it is a direct import but because it is a 78 AND a direct import. For example, Linus has a UK model but it is a 68 (right Linus?) and therefore concurrent with Land Rovers imported to the US that model year. I used to own a '67 BMW 1600ti (a non-US model) and had no trouble registering it in CA, but I think the YOM was the key. No emissions or impact standards on the books that year.

I've heard that some smaller DMV offices in rural counties are a little more forgiving of this kind of stuff, but that could simply be an urban myth.
You might try registering it- maybe they'll be lazy, look at their book and say, "The only listing I have here for a Series III is for 1973-74, so we'll use that". But don't bet on it!

If I were you, and had no luck registering, I'd sell the '78 and get a pre-'68 US spec- no emissions, no grey market, no hassles.

Here's the link for the info I gave:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch21.pdf

Momo
06-17-2007, 02:12 AM
One more small point- it used to be that CA had a "rolling 30 year smog exemption". That law was repealed in 2005 and replaced with an exemption for model year 1975 and earlier. Moot point in your case, Chris, but may be useful info for others in the future.

The old car hobby in CA has been up in arms in recent years as various activist lawmakers try to legislate classics off the road. The 1975 & earlier exemption was a concession to enthusiasts.

Mad_Dan_Eccles
06-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Here's the link for the info I gave:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch21.pdf (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch21.pdf)

One key thing in this is that it's not just the DMV, but also the the Air Resources Board . Even if the DMV says yes, ARB can say still no and request the DMV to pull a registration already issued

Here's the response I got from a very helpful lady at the ARB

According to the direct import regulations, the grey market program is applicable to any passenger car, light-duty truck, and medium-duty vehicle that is 2 years old or older, and 1975 and later model years. The regulations do not exclude diesel vehicles. Therefore, if your vehicle is classified as a light-duty or medium-duty truck, then it will need to go through the direct import vehicle program in order to be registered in California. The vehicle will need to be modified and tested to meet the California emission standards for the year of the vehicle. The testing needs to be conducted at a licensed laboratory, of which there are currently two, listed below. Please contact the labs directly for more information about the testing:
California Environmental Engineering (CEE)
2530 S. Birch Street
Santa Ana, CA92707
Phone: (714) 545-9822
Fax: (714) 545-7667
e-mail: sosi@ceecalif.com (sosi@ceecalif.com)

Northern California Diagnostic Laboratories (NCDL)
2748 Jefferson Street
Napa, CA94558
Phone: (707) 258-1753
Fax: (707) 258-1611
e-mail: jonm@ncdlinc.com (jonm@ncdlinc.com)

TeriAnn
06-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know what I need to do in order to register my 1978 Royal Army RHD in CA? I have been getting mixed answers from the smog people here. Thanks
Bottom line is cars newer than 1974 need to be tested and pass California SMOG requirements for the year of manufacture. It you install an engine newer than 1974 it is required to have all the emissions stuff installed, in operating condition and to pass emmssions tests for the year of the engine's manufacture.

Unless you have a diesel you really don't want to bring in a vehicle newer than 1974 if it is not in the California emmissions database. I suggest that registration might be easier if you dig up a 2.5L diesel or a 200 tdi for the vehicle.

Momo
06-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Wow!

Dan found a helpful DMV employee. That's about as likely as a new USA Defender on the showroom floor.

Terri Ann, maybe you can shed further light on other grey market rigs in California. For example, you may recall a certain 130 crewcab owned by a certain San Francisco resident? That rig is now in greater Los Angeles, legally registered. Any idea on how the importer accomplished that? Was it a matter of just getting diesel smog certificate?

Hope you've figured out your airfilter conundrum...and good to see you at Mendo!

Regards,

Mo

TeriAnn
06-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Terri Ann, maybe you can shed further light on other grey market rigs in California.
There was a time when a person could import and register a gray market vehicle legally. So there are a number of vehicle imported During the 1980's and before that are still properly titled and registered in California. Sort of grandfathered in. You just haven't been able to do that for over a decade now. I've never looked closely at the regulations after they changed beyond making sure my vehicle stays on the legal side of emissions requirements.

For example, you may recall a certain 130 crewcab owned by a certain San Francisco resident? That rig is now in greater Los Angeles, legally registered. Any idea on how the importer accomplished that? Was it a matter of just getting diesel smog certificate?
I do know how it was done but I can not comment on that in a public forum. Ask me when you see me in person.

Hope you've figured out your airfilter conundrum...and good to see you at Mendo!

I think I'm going to use a small diameter sealed canister type filter mounted to the underside of the front wing. I'll add a very short snorkel to place the filter intake above the wing and use a precleaner. I just did not like the idea of the whole air filter sitting on the wing top and a tube going between the filter and mass air sensor that has 3 sharp bends in about a 15 inch length. I just don't have enough spare $$ to buy the components yet. I frequently need a lot of time to engineer a solution. I'm fairly good at it but very s-l-o-w at it.

Good to see you too Mo. Sometimes I think I've become too much of a loner and should to get out around people more often.

Take care,

smactek
06-29-2007, 08:49 AM
You are all correct. I used to work at a shop in the SF Bay area of CA. When importing grey market cars was at its peak. In an effort to insure that California recieved the amount of tax dollars and DOT as well as ARB requirements. The state has all but nixed the grey market auto business. A typical example of the Emission testing requirements of the Now only 2 certified labs, includes but is not limited too. A 24 hour shed test in which said vehicle is only allowed a few hydrocarbons of fuel emissions while at rest in a sealed room. Something as small as a vented fuel cap can cuse it to fail. the problem will need to be isolated, repaired then retested all at the owners expense. I just wanted you to be aware of that particular hoop, of many they will make you jump through to register a direct import that must meet the model year smog requirements for vehicles destined for California. Which by the way are some of the strictest on the planet besides japan. SMac