PDA

View Full Version : nos parts I should be looking for now?

podelson
01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
I have a tentative appointment with Matt Browne this June, thank you 02batsea for the heads up on him, so my question is, while I am stripping paint taking off parts that should not be on it etc/saving up for June :0 over the next few months, are there any parts I should be keeping an eye out that are NOS from Rovers North, Ebay that are tougher to find than others?

o2batsea
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
On a 2A, any body panels you can find that aren't corroded or bent all to schmidt should be on your "buy" list. Ditto interior parts. Lamps and lenses that are original. Individual wiper motors. Dash stuff. Wheels are starting to get hard to find for Wagons.
There is a lot of reproduction stuff available if you don't mind the Chinese factor. If it comes in a BritPart, Allmakes, Proline, Bearmach or any other package that does not have a Land Rover logo on it, it is probably asian repro.

Les Parker
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
In this global world, it is fair to say to even a Landrover logo'd part could be made in Eastern Europe or Asia. Not all repro parts are of poor quality. RN does endeavor to sort the wheat from the chaff, some of the product that arrives here is not fit for resale and our scrap pile is a sad testament to this.
So, tread carefully, select wisely.
I know that occasionally a hoard of NOS parts surfaces from crypts around the globe, though this is becoming more and more of a rare occurrence.
Most people have in the past bought a second "parts" vehicle to support the main daily driver, again, these are getting rarer.
Maybe the humble Series Landrover will have the same status as Frog eyed Sprites and MG TD's etc.

2p

podelson
01-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Considering one phone call with Rovers North saved me about 4,000 a "ambitious" restorer wanted to charge me, you have got a customer for life (for better or worse)
Ideally I would like to use as much NOS as possible but not opposed to using items from reputable shops like yours.
I agree with what you were saying about logo'd parts, noticing how many "NOS" parts are currently for sale from Malaysia

In this global world, it is fair to say to even a Landrover logo'd part could be made in Eastern Europe or Asia. Not all repro parts are of poor quality. RN does endeavor to sort the wheat from the chaff, some of the product that arrives here is not fit for resale and our scrap pile is a sad testament to this.
I know that occasionally a hoard of NOS parts surfaces from crypts around the globe, though this is becoming more and more of a rare occurrence.
Most people have in the past bought a second "parts" vehicle to support the main daily driver, again, these are getting rarer.
Maybe the humble Series Landrover will have the same status as Frog eyed Sprites and MG TD's etc.

2p

I Leak Oil
01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Quality replacement parts are getting harder to find, genuine or not. If you're up to it you'd be better off trying to find used original parts in good or restorable condition. That's the route I've been going the past few years.

Jim-ME
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
I have been very happy with the NOS parts from Malaysia and Cyprus plus those sellers in the UK that deal in them and Ike. There are parts out there to be had that most US suppliers claim are NLA. You just have to be patient and shop Ebay-UK or Ebay-AU plus the aforementioned but be prepared to pay what they are worth . You may want to consider updating certain items like brake systems to newer model Defender parts. I have also found that especially with body parts, reproduction parts from good UK suppliers are excellent. You have to do your homework and it pays to spend time on the UK forums to get an education. I feel that it is also important to rebuild some items like bulkheads before they get so bad that they can't be salvaged. We will continue to loose quality parts as we try to keep these old rigs on the road unless we keep the demand as high as possible but at some point it may become unfeasible for some to stay in the game while others continue to get by. It all comes down to how much your old junk is worth to you.
Jim

jac04
01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
For a correct restoration, you will need these, and I just happen to have a set:
NOS hub caps with old finish. Not the newer shiny zinc ones. Quite rare to find.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/LtwtParts004.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/LtwtParts005.jpg

Jim-ME
01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Gee thats odd I have a pair as well. Guess I watched your rebuild too closely.
Jim

podelson
01-03-2013, 04:03 PM
I can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic and screwing with the newbie (me)

SafeAirOne
01-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic and screwing with the newbie (me)

They're not messing with you. There is (or at least WAS) a ton of original stuff being sold off from a stockpile in Malaysia over the last year or two. Oh, that, and it seems jac04 has a set of NOS wheel hub center caps he wants to get rid of. ;)

podelson
01-03-2013, 05:48 PM
ahh good to know. and jac04 I would love to grab those

They're not messing with you. There is (or at least WAS) a ton of original stuff being sold off from a stockpile in Malaysia over the last year or two. Oh, that, and it seems jac04 has a set of NOS wheel hub center caps he wants to get rid of. ;)

Jim-ME
01-04-2013, 03:11 AM
I can assure you that I was not trying to be sarcastic or screw with you.
Jim

podelson
01-04-2013, 06:28 AM
thank you jim

I can assure you that I was not trying to be sarcastic or screw with you.
Jim

o2batsea
01-04-2013, 07:59 AM

2p

C'mon Les. We're talking 2A stuff. You aren't telling me that Land Rover is still making parts for them in The Czech Republic or China, and putting them in OE boxes, are you? I guess I can believe it for consumables like clutches and brakes and all.
I have received plenty of parts for my RRCs in LR parts bags that give country of origin outside the UK or EU.