PDA

View Full Version : Battery Suggestions

Paul and Judson
01-14-2013, 08:08 AM
I am looking to buy a new battery for a 109 6 cylinder. The battery is under the drivers seat. Advise on the best battery to buy, please.

stomper
01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
The biggest one that fits with the most juice. Especially if you live in a cold climate or drive a diesel. Unless you are going with a dual battery set-up or are running the battery low all the time because of a winch, I would just go with a general starter battery vs. a deep cycle marine style, and a brand that is sold by whatever is convenient to you. Sears, Napa, Pep boys etc. They often times have a good, better and best category for their products with varying levels of warranty and quality. Go with what fits your budget, and replace accordingly.

TeriAnn
01-14-2013, 09:52 AM
The biggest one that fits with the most juice.

That's been pretty much my philosophy for a main battery. Measure the battery tray foot print and max height for under seat and take your tape measure on a shopping trip. Look for the biggest meanest battery with the long warranty from your favorite retailer that will fit.

If you are in a cold climate or don't fire up your Rover very often you might also consider converting to an aftermarket reduction gear starter motor. They turn the engine over a lot faster using less current than a stock starter motor.

albersj51
01-14-2013, 10:44 AM
I believe a Group 27 is the largest battery that will fit under the bonnet, but I cannot confirm its the same for the under seat battery.

SafeAirOne
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
I've found this chart to be pretty close when it comes to group battery sizes, though each manufacturer may have a slight variance for things like hold down lugs or whatever:

http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

o2batsea
01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Group 27 Deka or Odyssey. Buy by weight. Heavier = more lead = more energy.

ArlowCT
01-14-2013, 02:00 PM
I have been buying mine at the junkyard, I just tell them give me the biggest top post battery you have! I've had this one for three years, starts fine in freezing weather, had a 60 day warranty, runs my warn 8274 winch perfectly, and only cost $20!

cedryck
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Interstate makes great batteries,