PDA

View Full Version : 2 liter solex

Linus Tremaine
05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a friend with a 58 series II who needs a new carb. He has a solex that has been rebuilt many times and is no good anymore.

It has been suggested that he switch to a webber and to a zenith as installed on the 2.25.

If he decided that he wanted to keep his car original....

Does anyone still support this solex and does anyone have a rebuildable core?

jp-
05-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Will a Solex off a 2.25 not work? I know you can still find them. Probably pick up a few horses too.

I've got the original Solex on my 4-banger.

Linus Tremaine
05-30-2007, 04:06 PM
I posted this question on a semi localish email list and was told that the intake manifolds were different (bill at GBR said that). I am operating with the premise that I cannot use the solex from a 2.25.

jp-
05-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Well,

I guess you should take a measurement of the carb bolt hole pattern, as well as the diameter of the carb opening. Then measure the Solex hole pattern and carb opening diameter off a IIA.

Enigma
05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Try posting your query on TheSeriesOneGarage@groups.msn.com.

Cheers John

Jeff Aronson
06-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Oddly, the Solex brand is now part of the "empire" of Webcon, the company that now produces Weber carbs. Their website claims to have Solex parts.

When the Zenith and Weber options became available because of US emission requirements, a number of owners swapped out older Solex carbs for new Webers or Zeniths. There are probably some Solexs around in reasonable condition for rebuilding. I know the kits are still available because I bought one from Rovers North recently to stop a leak on the my II-A's Solex.

Jeff