PDA

View Full Version : Another Battery Question

Paul and Judson
01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
First of all I want to thank everyone who responded with helpul information to my last battery question. Here is one other question I have.

Given the size constraints of the battery box, which is the most important indicator of battery power: Weight or CCA?

TedW
01-16-2013, 09:39 AM
First of all I want to thank everyone who responded with helpul information to my last battery question. Here is one other question I have.

Given the size constraints of the battery box, which is the most important indicator of battery power: Weight or CCA?

IMHO CCA is key. That said, size and CCA tend to go hand-in-hand, but not always.

antichrist
01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Different types of batteries will have different weights for the same CCA. Don't worry about weight. Look at CCA and construction.

stomper
01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
I just replaced the battery in my Lexus SUV. I had to go to a smaller sized battery in order to increase the CCA. If you are in a cold environment, go for 700 or more CCA. 800 if you can find one!

o2batsea
01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
The answer is, it depends on what the battery's job is. If it is starting an engine, then maybe yes cranking amps is what you want more than storage capacity. If it is supposed to run accessories, then you want a heavy battery with lots of reserve. Apples to apples.
They do make batteries that are dual-purpose, as well as dedicated starting or storage.