Name:	0115130659a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	171448Click image for larger version

Name:	0115130659.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	171449

I bought and installed a new master cylinder on my 109 (see above). I was running lines when I noticed the rear port was larger than the front port. the lines that RN sold me to run from teh master to the front three way fitting has afitting too large fo rthe front port on the MC. this has me scared that I have the wrong MC. Can anyone tell me by looking at the MC photos if this is a 109 dual circuit MC? Are there any markings or dimensions that I can use to confirm?

has anyone run into this problem with the fitting being too large? If so what did you do? Is there some adapter I need?
  • ArlowCT
    2nd Gear
    • Jul 2008

I have a feeling the rear port is for the front brakes but I may be wrong. Do the rear lines fit the front port?

Comment

• o2batsea
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

Yes that is dual MC. Forward port for rear brakes. Yes two different port sizes. Don't know which for that MC you have. Could be 10mm x 1 and 12mm x 1, or 3/8-24 and 7/16-20. Either way get nuts for DIN flare and 3/16 pipe. Parts at fedhillusa.com.

Comment

• greenrover
        Low Range
        • Aug 2009

O2batsea

thanks for reply. when I look at http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm it says the larger port in the rear means it is a dual MC for a 109 but that does not match up with the size fitting that RN sent me and it looks like the 88 dual MC in the pics on http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm. That is why I was wondering if there is any other markings or dimensions that will confirm it is indeed for a 109.

So the RN parts are wrong? I guess you are telling me... or they could be right for certain Dual 109 MC just not the model I have?

Comment

• greenrover
          Low Range
          • Aug 2009

no - too big

Comment

• stomper
            5th Gear
            • Apr 2007

Did you buy the brake lines for an 88 and the 109 MC? It sounds like that is what you did from your initial post. If that is the case, then you will need adapters to fit the 109 MC. no wrong parts, you are trying to mate two different model fittings.

Just cut the brake pipes, install the correct fittings, and reflare the ends of the pipe, and Bob's your uncle.
            Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• o2batsea
              Overdrive
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by stomper
              Just cut the brake pipes, install the correct fittings, and reflare the ends of the pipe, and Bob's your uncle.
              This.
              Looks like it is an early 110/S3 109 master. I honestly cannot remember which fittings it takes, even tho I just ordered them for my project truck. I really want to say they are metric. I'm like 98% sure they are.

Comment

• TeriAnn
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by greenrover
                when I look at http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm it says the larger port in the rear means it is a dual MC for a 109 but that does not match up with the size fitting that RN sent me and it looks like the 88 dual MC in the pics on http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm. That is why I was wondering if there is any other markings or dimensions that will confirm it is indeed for a 109.
                I took a look at your pictures. None of them are a eye level profile of the body but it looks to me like you are installing an 88 master cylinder. If you look at the master cylinder pictures I have about half way down the web page you can see the differences. The 88 brake cylinder body is a constant diameter when viewed from profile. The 109 master cylinder when viewed from the side is taller for the half of the cylinder body closest to the servo unit then about half way down its length steps down. This is the diagnostic visible difference between the two types. Look at my pictures then look at your master cylinder. It should become obvious.
                -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• busboy
                  2nd Gear
                  • Nov 2012

I recently had to replace the master cylinder on my 71 2a 88 but couldn't get one in time for a show so I managed to get a new 109, not only did bolt straight in but it works exactly the same as the one I had which was original. If you do end up cutting and re-flaring lines remember brake lines must have a double flare.
                  1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Comment

• o2batsea
                    Overdrive
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by busboy
                    I recently had to replace the master cylinder on my 71 2a 88 but couldn't get one in time for a show so I managed to get a new 109, not only did bolt straight in but it works exactly the same as the one I had which was original. If you do end up cutting and re-flaring lines remember Master Cylinder brake lines must have a DIN flare.
                    Fixed it. There are both double flares and DIN flares on a Rover. The DIN flare looks like a mushroom.

Comment

• busboy
                      2nd Gear
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by o2batsea
                      Fixed it. There are both double flares and DIN flares on a Rover. The DIN flare looks like a mushroom.
                      I don't remember the master cylinder lines having din flares but it might have and I just didn't pay attention it's close to two years ago and I was in a rush at the time, lol.

Comment

• o2batsea
                        Overdrive
                        • Oct 2006

Honestly I can't recall either whether some of the older MCs have 45 flares as some had adapters. I think it may be that the remote reservoir MCs that have the tin can use 45 double flare at the reservoir fitting and a DIN flare on the MC. It's always best to just go by what is on your truck as it is difficult to make sweeping statement like I did.

Comment

• TeriAnn
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

I recently had to replace the master cylinder on my 71 2a 88 but couldn't get one in time for a show so I managed to get a new 109, not only did bolt straight in but it works exactly the same as the one I had which was original.
                          88 dual master cylinders are the same diameter front and rear. 109s had twice the number of front wheel cylinders so the diameter of the master cylinder is larger for the front brake circuit and the same diameter for the rear brake circuit which has the same number of wheel cylinders as the 88.

SO yes a 109 master cylinder will pump plenty for an 88. But the 88 master cylinder will not pump enough volume for the four 109 front wheel cylinders. First pump usually goes to the floor & you need a second or third pump to get brakes on a 109 using an 88 dual master cylinder.
                          -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                          Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• busboy
                            2nd Gear
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by TeriAnn
                            88 dual master cylinders are the same diameter front and rear. 109s had twice the number of front wheel cylinders so the diameter of the master cylinder is larger for the front brake circuit and the same diameter for the rear brake circuit which has the same number of wheel cylinders as the 88.

SO yes a 109 master cylinder will pump plenty for an 88. But the 88 master cylinder will not pump enough volume for the four 109 front wheel cylinders. First pump usually goes to the floor & you need a second or third pump to get brakes on a 109 using an 88 dual master cylinder.
                            Interesting to note, you would think they would have made one part that would do for all, no wonder they couldn't make money, lol. I just know that a 109 works on my 88.

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                              Overdrive
                              • Apr 2008

Interesting to note, you would think they would have made one part that would do for all, no wonder they couldn't make money, lol. I just know that a 109 works on my 88.
                              If the bore on the front circuit portion of the 109 MC is a larger diameter than the bore on the rear circuit section, you will be moving more fluid to the front wheel cylinders than the rear cylinders for the same amount of pedal travel, actuating the front brakes before the rear, causing the front shoes to do more of the braking work than the rear.

I'm not saying that's a problem--but I am saying that it's probably happening on your 88 if the MC bores are different. Presuming you don't have the fronts adjusted way out, that is...
                              --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                              (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

Working...