PDA

View Full Version : fairey fw hub stuc, help!

scott
05-30-2007, 07:44 PM
i've fairey hubs. right one is locked and won't spin back. i thought i could take off the hub while the outer cast aluminum was still on and i can't. seal (ha not much of a seal) is now broke. what holds this thing together?

jp-
05-31-2007, 04:39 PM
I have Warn's on the 109", so I'm not sure about the Fairey's. However, you should first make sure that there is no pressure on the hub itself. Raise the wheel off the ground, and rock the wheel backwards and forwards while you try to turn the lock. It should come unlocked.

Not sure what you are trying to do, but the hub has to be removed to gain access to the axle nut for removal.

Mercedesrover
05-31-2007, 07:17 PM
There's one big flat-headed screw in the outer hub cover. Remove that screw and underneath you will find a yellowish plastic ring that looks almost like an "O" ring. Use a hook tool to GENTLY work that ring loose and attached to it will be a long flat strip that snakes around the outer hub and keeps it on the inner hub. It looks very much like a zip-tie. IF YOU BREAK THIS PLASTIC STRIP YOU WILL BE SCREWED SO BE CAREFUL!! Keep working the strip out until it is all the way out. When the stip is free the outer hub will pop off.

Jim

scott
05-31-2007, 08:48 PM
thanks dudes. but last night i found this site http://www.landrovernet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34539
it has potato head instructions and pics. all apart, all cleaned, all together and workijng great

badvibes
06-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Scotty-

So it was just a little service needed to get your hub working right again? And you didn't even have to do it in the AutoZone parking lot!

J