PDA

View Full Version : Removing/by-passing ABS on 95 RRC?

REDrum
01-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Doable?

Although the ABS and TC has its moments of utility, for most part I can do without. Even more so since this truck will be off road 75% of its use time. I have been able to by-pass and remove ABS systems on Subaru (for rally cars), but I have no idea what it would take to remove ABS on a RRC. My ABS system is wonky (yes all three lights are on: brake, ABS, and TC) and I was wondering if/what others have done to by-pass the OEM ABS.

Anyone know if it has been done? If so, was it a moderate or extensive (PITA) undertaking?

I'm thinking 500 bucks can buy a lot AN3 fittings, brake line, and resistors to keep from throwing codes... Obviously I don't care about keeping stock integrity.

I've searched a bit, but found nothing on removing, only replace ABS. If ya gots stories please share'm.

o2batsea
01-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Yes, but you have to remove all the ABS schmidt, replace the ABS master cylinder with a pre-ABS pedal/tower, booster and MC. Then you replumb the brake lines, bleed and go on your way.

antichrist
01-23-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm not familiar with the RRC braking system, but is the ABS MC that much different from the non-ABS MC? On the '95 Disco even though Rover specs a different MC between the ABS and non-ABS a number of people have removed the ABS pump but used the same MC without issue. Of course the Disco doesn't have TC so maybe that makes a bigger difference.

Paul Grant
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Night and day difference between the RRC and DI braking systems. Think cost no object versus built to a price point. There's a reason the ABS block on a RRC costs around $3K whereas the DI is about half that cost. When Rover decided to be the first ever manufacturer to offer ABS on a full time four wheel drive passenger vehicle they spared little expense in doing so. It's no so simple as removing the pump or pulling a fuse. It's major surgery.

antichrist
02-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Is the RRC ABS tied in to engine management the way it is on later the Discovery? I can't see that it is, but then I didn't look in detail. I do see that the RRC and D1 systems are not at all alike.
It does look like you'd have to replace the MC and maybe booster, but it looks more like a matter of having to remove a lot of stuff, or at least disconnect it, and install a non-ABS pressure reducing valve.

REDrum
02-02-2013, 08:49 AM
When Rover decided to be the first ever manufacturer to offer ABS on a full time four wheel drive passenger vehicle they spared little expense in doing so. It's no so simple as removing the pump or pulling a fuse. It's major surgery.

Was afraid of that... On the '95 RRC I have too many features, on my '76 SIII I have too few....perhaps I need to exchange them for an '85 110 Country.... Will keep this thread posted on what I end up doing with the RRC ABS.

Paul: do you take direct deposit from my employer?

Boston
02-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Probably easier to remove those warning light bulbs

REDrum
02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
So, I'm going the rebuild the ABS route instead of by-pass the ABS route. Got a very good deal on a NIB ABS pump.