PDA

View Full Version : side view mirror toubles

john connelly
01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Lucky to own and work on a 72 series 3 - 88. Question- Was the side view mirrors only placed on the doors for this model year. Was thinking about putting the round OEM mirrors on the wings (has the plugs already). just seems like what ever i do to adjust the door mirrors i can never get them set for a a good view. Am i missing something.

SafeAirOne
01-25-2013, 07:55 AM
You probably know this already, but on the SIII mirrors, the arm part swivels into different spring-loaded detents in the base so sometimes if you you run out of travel on the mirror itself, you can swing the arm into the next detent and go from there.

I know what you mean, though--My passenger's side mirror is at the extreme edge of travel and, fortunately, stops moving in just the right spot for me.

Dietersrover
01-25-2013, 09:06 AM
I would put them back on the wings. If the plugs are there, that is where they came from originally. Most door mounted mirrors really came in on late SIII's and 90's

singingcamel
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I really like defender mirrors.

siii8873
01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
I agree about the defender mirrors for functionality. The wing mirrors are cool, but not the best for rear view visibility. Thay also can be a PITA to adjust, can't reach them for one thing. The defender style hinges with the mirror mounting holes are an easy bolt on replacement.

1971Series88
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
The defender style hinges with the mirror mounting holes are an easy bolt on replacement.

x2...only way to go - not "concourse resto" but quite functional

john connelly
01-26-2013, 02:33 PM
so what i understand is that the wing mirrors are stock on the early series 3. all the vintage pictures i see of original series are on the doors. just like to keep my Rig stock - the wing mirrors do look real cool though. any thoughts

SafeAirOne
01-26-2013, 09:14 PM
any thoughts

Yup. Do what you want--it's your truck. Whatever ends up being the safest for you and all the other motorists out there is probably the way to go.

Not sure if yours is a RHD, but if it is, the left side mirror is ultra-important to get right.