PDA

View Full Version : My new clutch is slipping

Wolf323i
01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Just replaced all of it and after 300 miles or so the pedal comes all the way up and barley engages?! Is this adjustable or is the project fubard?
SII 88 diesel. Also it seems to get worse as it warms in that it feels good on start up but after twenty miles I'm gassing hard and not moving at all.

I Leak Oil
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
First off stop driving it because if the clutch plate isn't toast yet it will be....
There are adjustments that you can make. At the slave cylinder there is a specific dimension that needs to be held. It's in the shop manual. If you don't have one, get one. There should also be some free play at the pedal. This can be adjusted through the pedal tower. Other than that it's possible you put it back together incorrectly. The friction plate has a front and back to it.
Last thing, it could by the hydraulics or worn linkages. Bad flex line or cylinder.

Les Parker
01-30-2013, 11:29 AM
So, the master, slave, clutch pressure plate (cover) and friction plate were all replaced?

Was there any evidence of oil in the gearbox bell housing? Either from the engine or gearbox?

Let us know.

Boston
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Don't think you're going to escape pulling it apart again.

SafeAirOne
01-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Don't think you're going to escape pulling it apart again.

Hmm. I don't know if the odds are in your favor--80 percent of the potential causes lie outside the bellhousing. We'll see... ;)

busboy
01-30-2013, 04:17 PM
I have seen something similar before, when the hydraulics were assembled are you 100% sure there were no dust seals or parts of them still in the orifices. The initial push of fluid bursts the plug and allows fluid through but can be trapped to return. I suggest open the bleeder on the slave cylinder and let the fluid out, don't push on the pedal again but drive it and see if the clutch still slips. Start the engine in second then without pressing the pedal get into 4th as soon as possible and rev the engine, any clutch slip will be evident here. If there is no clutch slip disassemble the hydraulics and look for a partial blockage.

Wolf323i
01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Not going to get into it till the weekend. Hoping for a linkage or hydraulic prob, and not liking the notion of pulling the whole thing back apart.

busboy
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
PM sent..

Wolf323i
02-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Used the pedal adjustment on the top of the clutch master and it seems to be grabbing well!