PDA

View Full Version : New 109 owner with Speedo issue

granny gear
02-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi there, I've just recently gotten a 1972 109 3 (tel:1972 109 3) door. It's in pretty good shape but after sitting in the garage for a week I took it for a drive yesterday and it's developed a wierd problem with the speedo... At around 15MPH it starts to make a strange sound and speedo goes haywire. At first I thought the starter motor might have gotten stuck on so I turned the truck off completely and just coasted but the sound remained?? I looked under the hood and can't see anything obviously wrong, and other than that she's driving fine. Anyone had anything similar happen? Thanks!

PavementEnds
02-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Mine did the same thing. I detached the cable at the speedometer gauge and oiled the inside, which helped for a while, but then the cable inside the protective sheath sheared off about 12" or so from its connection to the transmission. I replaced the cable and used 10/32 Allen head bolts in place of the tiny slotted screws that hold it in place. Back to normal.

busboy
02-03-2013, 11:30 AM
One thing to remember when installing a new speedo cable, heat from the exhaust bakes the outer cable in a set position so it's important to keep the cable away from the exhaust. If you move a cable that has been baked it will most likely not work properly again or quit soon after in which case you will need to replace both the inner and outer cables as an assembly. By the way I love the idea of Allen head screws for attaching the speedo cable, I used Phillips head but Allen head would be so much better.

granny gear
02-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Thanks guys! I found a new cable on eBay so I'll try installing that once I get it. In the mean time I think I'll disconect the existing cable to see if I can get the weird sound to stop. I'll keep you posted.

Les Parker
02-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Hope the new cable works out for you.
RN stocks a Proline cable (PLT008) for $19.95 plus shipping.

singingcamel
02-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Hpoefully your new cable works . If its still wonky look at the back of the speedo, sometimes where the cable attaches to can be rounded out .

Boston
02-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Classic sign of needing a new cable. That's exactly what would happen on my parent's Morris cars when it was time for a new one.

Jim-ME
02-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Make sure you lube it before you install it especially if it was NOS.
Jim

granny gear
02-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Jim, what lube would you recommend? Hope to get to it this weekend. Thanks!

Jim-ME
02-09-2013, 05:26 AM
I personally like Break Free CLP but that is because I have it around for use on my rifles and hand guns but others have suggested using 3 in 1. Any light non-gumming oil should work.
Jim

LaneRover
02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
I concur on the Break free