PDA

View Full Version : Looking for A Defender Bull Bar - Domestic or International Search

bullstanky
02-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Gents,

For the last several months I've been looking for a defender style bull bar to dress up the front end of my SIII. I haven't been able to find any in the lower 48, but have found one in the UK. I paid just $40 bucks for it and it appears to be in decent shape - http://www.ebay.com/itm/271130762214?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. When I called UPS for a quote they told me approx $400 for shipping, but when I actually went to set up the shipment I was quoted closer to $700.

That seems like too much for a defender bull bar, but I can't seem to find a cheaper/easier alternative. Are there any similarities between a defender bull bar and the one found on the many discos here in the US? Could a disco bull bar be made to do the job--does anyone run a disco bull bar on a Series?

greenmeanie
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Each to their own on the aesthetics but that bull bar doesn't look like it would provide $400 worth or protection.

If you just want something stronger than the stock blade I'd look at a Pangolin bumper. Add military over riders if you want it to look more beefy. If you want some ironmongery up front then buy a bare Pangolin bumper and go to your local 4X4 fab place to have some bent tube added or talk to Ike with your needs. MUCH stronger as the ebay one you show is essentially cosmetic only and will just fold into the front of the truck with any serious hit.

mearstrae
02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I might not often do so but, I agree with greenmeanie on this. I have one of these on my Series III, I had to reenforce it with brackets. It's mostly just a light brush guard, not a sturdy bull bar. But, since it is used mostly to mount my lights on, durability isn't a big problem. Also, when I get large items shipped from the UK, I try to use DHL. They seem to be cheaper and very efficient, I once received an heavy item in three days.

'95 RRC Lwb
'76 Series III hybrid
'70 Rover 3500S

rwollschlager
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Brian did you get my pm?
I finally received pictures of the bar. Let me know if you want it.

bullstanky
02-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Brian did you get my pm?
I finally received pictures of the bar. Let me know if you want it.

Yes!