X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArlowCT
    2nd Gear
    • Jul 2008

What are the best 2.25 spark plugs?

I'm looking for real world experience on what plugs you have found to work and what plugs don't? Please give reasons why you like/dislike them, not just sales pitches from the makers.

I have a 88" serIII with a 59' 2.15, .060" over, stock cam, 8:1 head, petronix, and a weber carb.

Thanks!
  • antichrist
    2nd Gear
    • Mar 2009

I use what the owners manual calls for, whichever copper plug is cheapest.
    I tend to not use Champion (though don't totally avoid them) because I spent many hours struggling with my '62 in the 80's when I'd changed the distributor on it thinking I'd totally screwed up the install and it wouldn't run worth a darn. Turned out 3 of the 4 new Champion plugs I installed were bad. I found out when, in desperation, I installed 4 Bosch plugs my dad had for his Toyota and my Rover ran perfect.
    It did impress me that the 2.25 would run with only one cylinder firing.

You don't say which Weber you have, so that might affect the preferred heat range some.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Comment

• TeriAnn
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

A lot depends upon how you have that carb jetted and your overall air to fuel ratio.

If everything was stock, a CHAMPION RN11YC 4 is nearest to original specification plug and the NGK BP5ES would be a very good substitute. If you had the 2.5L cam the NGK BP6ES would have been a good option.

I just went back and reviewed the original posting. A 1959 2L engine. I didn't know parts were available for it. With 60 over the BP5ES would be a good place to start. Then put some miles on it and revive the old art of reading plugs. I think the BP5ES will likely work.

A 1959 engine in a SIII truck. There must be a story there.
      -

Teriann Wakeman_________
      Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• ArlowCT
        2nd Gear
        • Jul 2008

Thank you for the replays! I just saw I put 2.15 for the engine size, oops that should have been 2.25.

Yes, this motor was hard to get parts for. I rebuilt it about 7-8 years ago and had no idea on its age. I preordered all the engine parts thinking it was a ser III motor.... Boy was I surprised when some didn't fit. I wish I knew how it ended up in this truck, we have owned it for over twenty years and never knew. We never had a reason to suspect it was not original, so never looked at the numbers.

I will give those plugs a try and see how they look!

Thanks

Comment

• I Leak Oil
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

I've got a SII motor in my truck as well. Many parts are different and you have to be carefull what you order. If I ever get around to doing something with it...I won't be rebuilding it. Too many decent SIIa or SIII motors around to be messing with this one.

I've been using Champions for many years without issue in it. The high tech plugs are a waste of time and money on a 2.25 motor. I think any of the standard copper plugs will work fine for you. I've heard Autolites are good too but I've never tried them.
          Jason
          "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• pitchrollyaw
            Low Range
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ArlowCT
            I'm looking for real world experience on what plugs you have found to work and what plugs don't? Please give reasons why you like/dislike them, not just sales pitches from the makers.

I have a 88" serIII with a 59' 2.15, .060" over, stock cam, 8:1 head, Pertronix, and a weber carb.

Thanks!
            I've always been a big fan of fine wire type plugs (and a quality, slightly 'hotter' but not excessive, coil) on cars w/ temperamental ignition systems...basically anything I own w/ Lucas parts. I am currently running the Denso Iridiums on my '72 S3 w/ the Petronix and a Bosch Blue coil and she runs great. Gap is the wide end of the stock range w/ 6dg BTDC at idle. Seems to be the sweet spot for my engine, a stock 2.25 w/ Weber.

That said, this is a pretty low tech engine to say the least and any proper quality (NGK/DENSO/Bosch/Beru) plug will be more than adequate.

w
            '72 Series III 88 "Greenie"
            '85 90 2.5NA "Stinky"

Comment

• gudjeon
              5th Gear
              • Oct 2006

I have tried the Champions, Autolites, NGK's and they all seem to work well. I have settled on AC Delco 44 XL's I run a pertronix, a 7:1 and a Zenith. Set the gap for electronic ignition. They were cheap and were the closest equivalent to the original ( going by my parts guy) Works for me and that was a few years ago on a daily driver.

Comment

• busboy
                2nd Gear
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by TeriAnn
                If everything was stock, a CHAMPION RN11YC 4 is nearest to original specification plug
                I thought I was using a RN13YC so I looked in the Haynes manual I bought when I bought my 1971 88 almost 35 years ago, it says RN12YC. Almost certain I'm using the RN13YC though, I seem to recall I wanted to try a hotter plug when I installed the Webber carb and kept them even after I removed the Webber and had to find another Zenith because I had already given the original one away.
                1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Comment

• ArlowCT
                  2nd Gear
                  • Jul 2008

Picked up a set of NGK BP5ES plugs today. I'll run them a bit and see how they look. Any advise on what gap to run with the petronix?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...