PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help on Wings Series II Ideas or Options

Arrington
02-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Well I bought a 1961 series II in Nov. as some of you may know. I am looking for another set of front wings before I restore it. My tops are good, front signal panels are dented in and outer skins are so so. I thought I would try to buy a nice used set of wings if anyone has any in there stash for sale. Or buy some NOS front signal panels and try to straighten my outer skins. Unless anyone has and good outer skins for sale. Other option is really not my style but I thought I would see if anyone has used any of these abs plastic skins that our sponsor sells. I am not real interested in using the plastic but if that's my only option if I can not get my skins nice then I might have to. I would rather stay with original parts. Has anyone used these new plastic skins. Any info on them. Any parts offered for sale would be appreciated or info. Thanks Jason

o2batsea
02-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Lol! Unobtanium. There are no front panels anywhere. Maybe you will get lucky an find some wings someday, but in the meantime you'll have to be happy with what you have.

1961 109 WAGON
02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Lol! Unobtanium. There are no front panels anywhere. Maybe you will get lucky an find some wings someday, but in the meantime you'll have to be happy with what you have.

Yeah, you got my last set!!

busboy
02-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Just curious is there a demand for series front wings/fenders, the actual outside pieces, is no one making them?

nantley79
02-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Is the outside piece for a SIII wing interchangeable with the outside piece for a SII or SIIA wing?

If so, I thought I read somewhere that the defender outside piece would work - maybe on Teri Ann's site. Haven't tried it, but I've also been thinking about it since my right side front panel & outside piece are dented. I was planning on banging them out as straight as I could get them and calling it good.

Arrington
02-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Partsman
02-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Try talking to Ike, look on his website Pangolin 4X4 (http://www.pangolin4x4.com/series-land-rover-parts-products/body-panels-tops/) if you don't see what you're looking for call him, he has lots of things that aren't on the website available also.

o2batsea
02-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Ike's out.

o2batsea
02-10-2013, 08:35 AM
those are fixable

TeriAnn
02-10-2013, 09:34 AM
If so, I thought I read somewhere that the defender outside piece would work - maybe on Teri Ann's site. Haven't tried it, but I've also been thinking about it since my right side front panel & outside piece are dented. I was planning on banging them out as straight as I could get them and calling it good.

Probably from my site. My truck has early Defender outer wing panels. The early version doesn't have any holes in the sides. I got them from Rovers Down South. Opps since the legal pit bulls at JLR have become rabid the company has been renamed RDS Parts (http://www.rdsparts.com/)

Defenders have a larger wheel cutout than the series panels which is great if you plan on going to big tyres and/or doing some suspension work for better wheel articulation. My plan is to eventually go to 35's

In the picture you see my truck and a friends truck with stock Series outer wing panel. I had to cut the opening for the Kodiak heater. The tyres on my truck are 33.3" dia mud terrains mounted on 7 inch wide Disco I steel wheels. The truck behind mine has 32's. As you can see LOTS of space for bigger tyres. Also my Donaldson air filter is horizontally mounted to the underside of the wing top. The larger opening allows space for easy changing of the air filter without having to remove the front tyre. And my disc brakes moves the wheel outwards a tad.

The outer wing panel is a bolt on fit. However, the bottom sill panel needs to be cut back as the Defender wheel opening is wider.

Bottom line depends on what is more important to you: a factory stock appearance or additional wheel clearance with the bonus of using genuine LR parts.

I'm happy with the results on my truck and plan to eventually have the rear wheel arches recut to match the shape of the fronts.

Revtor
02-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Aren't there plastic outer skins around? Defender shape I'm assuming. ? Man, someone with a bit of practice beating aluminum could really make a few $$ by repairing these rover skins.

It's ironic how the rover was designed with simplicity and ease of manufacturing in mind and yet there are no panels around or being made!!

leafsprung
02-10-2013, 12:27 PM
RN has abs type - I should have some AL bits

Jim-ME
02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Front panels are available if you look at the right time on Ebay-UK but expect to pay a hefty sum.Sometimes the seller won't ship to the US but will if asked nicely. You need to learn to go to the UK for a lot of unobtainum parts if Ike hasn't got them. Start stocking up on items that wear out. As you know I can get both of the front panels if you decide that you need them. I personally have no issues with ABS front wing outer skins as long as your painter knows how to paint them.

Dietersrover
02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Well, if you cant find anything in the States, you might try the UK.
Huddersfield Land Rover Centre. Ask for Mark

ignotus
02-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Try the uK, you can find stuff at salvage yards(breakers) or www.landrover-bitz.co.uk makes new ones. Don't know the prices though.

gene

Arrington
02-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Still looking. I have found some bits and pieces. I bought new land rover defender skins like Teri Ann was talking about but I am still going to try to hold out for some original pieces. If I could find complete wings that would be good. Ike has front panels, I just need some series outer wing panels now.

TeriAnn
02-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Still looking. I have found some bits and pieces. I bought new land rover defender skins like Teri Ann was talking about but I am still going to try to hold out for some original pieces. If I could find complete wings that would be good. Ike has front panels, I just need some series outer wing panels now.

If they are genuine LR outer wing panels and you end up not using them let me know. If the price is right I may be willing to buy them from you. Bit by bit I'm collecting a spare set of genuine LR body panels.

luckyjoe
02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Bit by bit I'm collecting a spare set of genuine LR body panels.

Crazy? Maybe, but I guess everything will get scarce. Several years back I picked-up a spare exMod, IIA lights-in-the-grill, complete wing set. Glad I did at the time...

TedW
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
There is / was a company in the UK specializing in reproduction body panels for Series I's. If they are still around I would think that producing SII - III panels wouldn't be a big stretch for them.

TeriAnn
02-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Crazy? Maybe, but I guess everything will get scarce. Several years back I picked-up a spare exMod, IIA lights-in-the-grill, complete wing set. Glad I did at the time...

The aftermarket body panels tend to be thinner and made out of a softer aluminum alloy. It sometimes seems that if you look at them they will dent. And don't get me started on the poor fit of aftermarket side screens (the exception being the ones made in Canada).

Genuine LR panels are better and fit better. The older panels are better since LR stopped using Birmabright. Series II panels are thicker than IIA panels so are the best to get.

Arrington
02-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Teri Ann supposedly the panels I bought are suppose to be genuine land rover pieces. I should receive them Monday.
Luckyjoe, do u still have those wings?

luckyjoe
02-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Jason, I still have the wings but they are not for sale. It was a unique purchase situation, from the UK no less, and since I live in an deer-over-population State, they will remain in my parts reserve. FWIW, the military wings have an reinforcing plate beneath the top panel, rubber door bumper for when the door check rods are not in use and the vertical light arrangement on the front panel. Not something I would want to have to find again...

http://forums.roversnorth.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7841&d=1360466193
This really is not that much damage. I am sure you can find someone to straighten them - even with shipping to/from a capable mechanic it would see less expensive than current replacement prices (i.e. you can't find any!). In fact, if I were looking for wings and found yours I would snap them up in a heartbeat!

artpeck
02-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Advertisement to SELL; Product: PARTS; Price: $650.00; (Currency: US Dollars)
Complete Series wing
Right side complete wing. Excellent condition Pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/stonefox99/RoverGoods#
Sean Fox.
West Hurley, New York, United States of America - 18 February 2013

From land rover exchange

Partsman
02-24-2013, 09:23 AM
That doesn't look so bad, I've had worse than that to work with. Just pop that front back out, do a little tin bashing, and be done. If it's not perfect, don't worry to much about it, as these things always look better when they can show off their scars. Gives them character.

Arrington
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Teri Ann I received my defender skins today and they are genuine land rover skins. Still on the on hunt for original series panels.