PDA

View Full Version : Gauge panel question

nantley79
02-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Here is a pic of a 65 SIIA gauge panel (not mine, I pulled if off the internet. but it is identical to mine with the exception of a bunch of rust & grime).

What goes into the plugs in the upper left?

Manny
02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
The red plug is hot and the black plug is the ground. LR once made accessories that plugged into the dash, like a work light and they even made an electric tea pot that plugged into it. I purchased the two prong adaptor and use it for my phone charger, a fan, and when off road I plug in my CB radio.

Manny
02-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Here is a picture of the lamp.

NDNAJNS
02-09-2013, 11:04 PM
The red plug is hot and the black plug is the ground. LR once made accessories that plugged into the dash, like a work light and they even made an electric tea pot that plugged into it. I purchased the two prong adaptor and use it for my phone charger, a fan, and when off road I plug in my CB radio.

Hi, Manny - did you get the adaptor that our hosts sell? I assume then it allows you to use a standard North American AC double flat prong? By chance could you post a pic of the adaptor? I'm about to pull the trigger on it, since my Samasung phone's battery is so bad...Thanks!

Partsman
02-09-2013, 11:47 PM
I think you may be missing something here, this is a 12v DC connection, not an AC connection.

NDNAJNS
02-09-2013, 11:55 PM
I think you may be missing something here, this is a 12v DC connection, not an AC connection.

Got it!

TedW
02-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Manny:

I have the work lamp shown in the photo (very handy and durable, by the way), and when I use it I've noticed that the dash plugs heat up. Do you have this problem? Just curious. I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the fact that the wiring will be 43 years old in March....

I wired a fused marine-grade 12V socket under the dash, which I use for phone charger, compressor, etc.

Ted

Revtor
02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
The 12v sockets are cool, in an original oddball rover way, but having 12V right there, open to shorting out the 40+ yr old wiring on anything just freaks me out. I disconnected the wiring behind the red one and installed a nice fused cig lighter outlet in the side of my blank dash panel. Now I know its capacity, and have lots of things available to use it with.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blanket-p-5631.html -this was my best friend when my DD was a D90

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12volt-map-light-with-flexible-neck-p-12450.html -here's one for my navigator...

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-133-widescreen-hidef-lcd-tv-wdvd-combo-p-11928.html -Maybe you just cant miss that latest episode??

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-wetdry-canister-vacuum-p-5899.html -And if you spill your popcorn!

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-oven-and-pizza-maker-p-5906.html -pizza party to go

anyway, installing a modern outlet is safer and gives you more options.
~Steve

Jim-ME
02-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I have never had the problem with the plug heating up using a work lamp. In fact it is the one that I got from you. I added a plug and about 15' of regular black two wire electrical cord. It works like a champ.
Jim

nantley79
02-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone - Since I don't have a vintage worklight, I think I will disconnect the red plug but keep it in the dash for aesthetics. I was already planning to wire up an inconspicuous 12v cig lighter.

east high
02-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Here's what I did with mine. It's a cockpit map light with a magnet JB welded to the base.

http://i.imgur.com/Ln18LpO.jpg

redmondrover
02-10-2013, 11:51 PM
I use them to power my CB. I made plugs out of stainless cotter pins I had laying around. Works great with no overheating

Revtor
02-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Ted, I'm thinking that if the plugs are heating up in use then you are drawing way too much current. So you have the wrong bulb in your light, or something. If any part of your electrical system is getting hot then please please find the problem and fix it. The plugs are relatively big and heavy, imagine the wire behind them would be getting really hot!!

~Steve

TedW
02-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Ted, I'm thinking that if the plugs are heating up in use then you are drawing way too much current. So you have the wrong bulb in your light, or something. If any part of your electrical system is getting hot then please please find the problem and fix it. The plugs are relatively big and heavy, imagine the wire behind them would be getting really hot!!

~Steve

These work lights are / were military issue - perhaps I have a 24V bulb in it? Could that be the problem?

Revtor
02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Definitely could be the problem. i bet you could get a 12v equiv.

o2batsea
02-13-2013, 05:47 AM
Definitely could be the problem. i bet you could get a 12v LED equiv.
Fixed it for ya.

Jim-ME
02-13-2013, 06:55 AM
The work lamps were standard for the military and were offered as an option to civilians. I was very lucky to have been given one by a fellow Rover enthusiast as I had no idea that they even existed. I have purchased and resold several of these over the years but have always kept the one I was given. I have found mine very useful on several occasions. The really nice thing is that they are small thus easy to store and you don't have to worry about batteries corroding like a flashlight. The cord is long enough to be able to go front to rear on a 109. The work lamps are supposed to have the same bulb as a running light. It is possible that the wrong bulb is installed in the work light which is what is causing it to heat up. I have not thought about switching to a LED but that isn't a bad idea.

TedW
02-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Jim is right about how useful and practical these lights are. Like many pieces of equipment that have military origins, they are (in a good way) way overbuilt: you can bash them around and they will keep working.

Dietersrover
02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Our host sells Series and Defender back up (reverse lights). These would be easy to hook up as a dome or work light.

Dietersrover
02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
I remembered this post this morning, and took a couple of images of my plug for you.

NDNAJNS
02-14-2013, 10:51 AM
I remembered this post this morning, and took a couple of images of my plug for you.

Thanks! Is that the one from our hosts?

east high
02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I got mine here: http://www.triple-c.com/Products_and_Accessories.cfm?pn=CAB185&pID=855

Dietersrover
02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks! Is that the one from our hosts?
No, only because I got mine with my Series and its from the UK.
Same item though.Check Radio Shack also.