PDA

View Full Version : Dual brake master cylinder question.

TedW
02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
I have a used dual brake master cylinder that fits my 1970 IIA with servo assist brakes. The master appears to be shot (rusty bore, stuck cylinder) but the tank is in fine shape (no sun damage cracks that often occur after a few decades of use).

Question: Is it possible to remove the tank from the master? The rear screws are easily removed, but it feels like a press-fit in the front that doesn't want to come off.

Thanks in advance for any / all replies.

Ted

o2batsea
02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
While I have no direct experience, I have seen them removed both successfully and not. There are repro ones available if you don't mind losing the original. The plastic on the old ones gets brittle and the little nipple thing that sticks in the MC goes >snap<. YMMV.

busboy
02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
I have a used dual brake master cylinder that fits my 1970 IIA with servo assist brakes. The master appears to be shot (rusty bore, stuck cylinder) but the tank is in fine shape (no sun damage cracks that often occur after a few decades of use).

Question: Is it possible to remove the tank from the master? The rear screws are easily removed, but it feels like a press-fit in the front that doesn't want to come off.

Thanks in advance for any / all replies.

Ted

My experience is the front has a square/flat oring type seal that is unobtainable, it does NOT come in the rebuild kit. I had to buy a complete new dual brake master AFTER spending $90 for the SEALED rebuild kit. I would suggest just buy a complete new master. Oh if you do want to take it apart it does just push in but may be corroded in and you will have to rotate it to break it free.

albersj51
02-25-2013, 10:21 AM
I went with a 1985 ford ltd master cylinder. Cost $25-$35, made entirely of metal and can get it anywhere. Just needs a VERY minor pushrod mod and some adaptors for the thread difference on the lines.

Apis Mellifera
02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Let's hear more about the Ford part. Rover brake pipes screw right in?

busboy
02-25-2013, 06:10 PM
I went with a 1985 ford ltd master cylinder. Cost $25-$35, made entirely of metal and can get it anywhere. Just needs a VERY minor pushrod mod and some adaptors for the thread difference on the lines.

I agree it would be interesting to hear about the LTD mod but 1985?? it might be harder to get than a Landrover one. lol.

hankster110
02-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Ditto. Went with a late 80's Crown Victoria m/c, needed a plug in the piston to put within reach of the booster. About .800 inches long I think. Fifteen years later all is well, I use Dot 5 fluid.

albersj51
02-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Here is a link to a thread I started on GnR. It wasn't my idea; others have done it as well. Page 7 or 8 has some pics of the pushrod mod. The original fittings would need to be replaced with a standard size and an adapter used for the Ford MC. Mine is a frame off rebuild, so that was easy. Feel free to PM me here or GnR if you have questions...

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?581-Single-circuit-to-Dual-circuit-brakes-88-quot-S2a&highlight=brakes

Jason