PDA

View Full Version : Raised Intake help

Mark Filtranti
05-31-2007, 10:22 PM
I know that unless I am going to live and drive in the desert a raised intake (snorkel) is not really necessary. With that said, I still want to put one on my Ser III, but also want to keep the oil bath air cleaner. I have not had any luck on locating the original set-up produced by land rover at all. From what I have been told, new double port air cleaner cans and piping for a Ser IIa/III are not to be found. It has been suggested that I modify a single port can, or find a Ser I can which has 2 ports (and a very very large price tag if found). Even if I modify a can and use the new tubing from Mantec, it seems that it will be difficult to plumb it by the heater unit. This would be caused by entering the wing next to the bulkhead. The other option would be to enter the top of the wing using a defender style set-up about a foot and a half forward of the bulkhead. My ideal set up would be through the bonnet, with the mushroom prefilter as land rover originally designed. The only flaw I could see with the original set-up is that the compressible tube under the bonnet could get hard after awhile and crack/leak. If they do that I might be out of luck finding parts. I might be wrong. If I'm going to cut holes in a new bonnet or wing I would like to do it right, and be able to maintain the system. I have waited 25 years and 4 Rovers to put one on my truck. If anyone can help me with parts, experience pros/cons (icing) or suggestions, I would be very grateful. Also my current truck has a new single barrel Weber, and don’t know how it will like the extra drag if any, caused by the intake. The 71 Ser III petrol half cab and me live in Maine.
Thanks
Mark

TJR
06-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Mark.. I wanted to do the same thing.. and also make it myself. I've never created a setup yet, but I did find a NEW genuine dual port oil bath air filter on ebay not too long ago. Yes it was $$'s but I saved on fabrication time. I've searched many many LRO and similar Magazines for ideas . I have one article , I will attempt to scan ,that showed how someone modified the stock air cleaner to work as a the OE style by adding a 90 degree elbor tot he top the the unit. It seemed though that clearance might be a factor..

The other idea I had was to use a Discovery paper element air cleaner box (which I have) and various fittings to accomplish a simiilar thing.

..Talbot
Southern Maine

I Leak Oil
06-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Mark, I made my own for about $30 in materials plus the cost of the cap. I used 2 1/2" aluminized exhaust pipe. The oil bath is easy enough to modify. Remove the top intake cap, then break the spotwelds that hold the down tube in and pull it out. Make up a 90 degree elbow and run it out the side of the canister. Weld it up and weld up a cap on top and you're done as far as the canister goes. Email me if you want to see pictures of my finished product and how I routed it.
Jason T.
(jbisky at charter dot net)

daveb
06-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Pictures!

Mark, I made my own for about $30 in materials plus the cost of the cap. I used 2 1/2" aluminized exhaust pipe. The oil bath is easy enough to modify. Remove the top intake cap, then break the spotwelds that hold the down tube in and pull it out. Make up a 90 degree elbow and run it out the side of the canister. Weld it up and weld up a cap on top and you're done as far as the canister goes. Email me if you want to see pictures of my finished product and how I routed it.
Jason T.
(jbisky at charter dot net)

I Leak Oil
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Alright Dave...You've called my bluff! I'm an internet idiot! I have no idea how to post a picture here...
Hope all is well in D.C. for ya...
Jason T.

yorker
06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
You can source other aircleaners if you don't mind using a non rover product. An aircleaner fem a M151, or M38/m38a1 for example works well, you'd need to figure out a different way to mount them though:
http://www.muddyoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4795

daveb
06-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Alright Dave...You've called my bluff! I'm an internet idiot! I have no idea how to post a picture here...
Hope all is well in D.C. for ya...
Jason T.
yah, all is good. my 109 is in pieces. situation normal :)

trying to post one that I think will help...