PDA

View Full Version : anyone with custom Saddle Leather seat skins on a Series?

LH Drive
03-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Has anyone done a set of seat covers made of tan saddle leather on a series rover?
I've thought about this for some time as I think it would look the part in a Series Rover and will age well as the leather gets broken in. Looking to end up with more of a rugged look. I'm getting closer to start making these seat skins for my series and wanted to see what others have done and what materials used.
The problem i've ran into so far is that the saddle or bridle/harness leather samples i've seen are thick. Something close to 1/4 inck thick or 15oz. for those that handle leather. I'm not looking for soft thin upholstery leather like most autos have but also don't want it to be too stiff and ride like a horse. I'm trying to get some thinner saddle leather samples in 5-6 or 7-8 oz. and will see what those look and feel like. I plan to use these saddle leather sections near the outer edges of the seat where most of the wear takes place as one enters and exits the rover. The rest of the seat skin will be made from a softer full grain bullhide I picked up from a local tannery thats in the 8oz. weight and is close to 1/8 inch thick but still soft enough. Had to purchase an entire hide but I feel I'll have enough to complete the project and I got it at a good price. This hide was intended to be used for Harley Davidson Jackets and saddle bags that will work great for my purpose.
With thick leather sewing I needed to use a heavy duty upholstery sewing machine so I purchased a used Singer walking foot tripple feed machine and installed a slow speed low geared servo motor that can easily handle sewing this thickness leather and up to almost 3/8 thick. Most auto leather upholstery makers use size 69 thread, i'll be using larger size 138 to 207 bonded thread with a proper leather needle in size 22 or 23 that can handle this size thread. I've practiced on a few scrap pieces with size 138 thread and have the tension worked out on the old Singer and it looks good so far. I'll post a few pics of my sample sewing on the bullhide. It will be a while till I come up with a decent pattern for the saddle seat covers. Hoping someone else has done this before as I don't want to ruin an entire hide. Might have to make a mock up seat cover out of heavy canvas first.

TedW
03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
I have a friend who used tan leather on his (individual) rear jump seats - looks very good.

It sounds like you plan to reupholster the Deluxe seats that came with the Series III: In my view, bridle leather would work fine throughout. In a former life one of my roles was sourcing leather goods out of England, and among them was wallets made of bridle leather - very thin (I don't recall the weight) and very, very durable: I've used the same wallet for over 10 years now and it's still going strong.

That said, bridle might be overkill: Years ago I had my Deluxe seats reupholstered in leather at a local auto upholstery shop, using a stock leather that they like to work with. Looks perfect, breathes well, and doesn't stretch (not much, anyway). I have a chunk left over in the basement: PM me with your address and I'll send you some to look at.

Just my $0.02.....

Ted

LH Drive
03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi Ted, yes I plan to reupholster a set of series seats but not my S3 seats. I need to find an older set of S1 shovel seat backs to use on my project. Will also be looking to pick up some used series 2 front seat bases that will be reupholstered in the tan bullhide full grain leather I purchased. I've seen some previous post where one can make some S2 seat base wooden frames pretty east and might go that rout if nothing turns up. I think the S1/S2 seat skins will be easier to make compared to the S3 deluxe seats. Like your older wallet, I expect these new leather seat covers to last a very long time. I know its a bit overkill using heavier weight saddle/bridle and the leather hide I plan to use but thats the idea. Rugged and worn leather just doesnt look the same if its too thin in my opinion.
The first picture is my sample sewing with bonded #138 thread on a small scrap piece of the same leather hide i'll be making my seat covers from. Will be going with the double stitch on these seats due to the thickness of the hide (two quarters stacked) and I'll be overlaping the hide then sewing as pictured. It makes a flatter surface and not a large welt.
I'm also getting into leather tooling/stamping with veg tan leather in the same weight and will be making custom belts in the near future. I've been practicing for a few weeks now with veg tan leather in 8-9 oz. and I'm verry happy with the results. Pictured is a name I tooled into leather to show a sample of my work, also layed on the hide i'll be using. I'll be tooling some Land Rover oval badges that will be sewn into the new Series seat backs. I have it pictured in my mind and just need to make it happen. Should look good when done. I like the look of the Chaparral leather style seats found on Ford King Ranch Edition trucks.

LH Drive
03-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Just made a small LR badge out of 8oz. veg tan leather and made it a little darker with neatsfoot oil . It's only 1 3/4 inches tall so it was hard to get good detail out of it. Secured it to the sample piece from above post with same #138 bonded thread i've been using. When the front seats are done i'll be making the LR badges about the same size as the grill badge to get better detail.
I have an 88" two door SW with rear bench seats. Since I don't have the S1/S2 front seats yet i'll start working on the rear seats first. Was posting here to see if anyone has done anything like this before to get ideas on different seat pattern/layout.
If anyone has a couple of worn out S1 shovel back seats let me know as i'm in need of two. Will also be needing the tall metal brackets that attach to the seat backs. I already have the brackets that mount to the tub. Thanks

Manny
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
That looks very nice! Nice work.

PavementEnds
03-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Two thumbs up! This looks great!

Revtor
03-04-2013, 08:18 AM
awesome work! Sign me up.

o2batsea
03-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Would be really super cool if that leather looked like the original elephant hide material. I have been searching for a leather that does, and I have come up zero.

LH Drive
03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I have been searching for a leather that does, and I have come up zero.

Have you looked into having some bullhide leather dyed in that elephant grey color?

Started some drawings on the rear bench seat pattern/layout today. The rear back rest will have built in storage pockets in the form of a saddle bag since I don't carry to many passengers and I need the extra storage space. I like what I came up with so i'm gonna go with it. Still need to pick up a double side in saddle/harness leather to mix with the bullhide I have. The top eight inches on the seat backs and rear back rest will be out of thicker saddle leather. The seat bottoms will be made similar to the standard S2 seat bases and only out of the bullhide I have. It's in the 8oz. weight so I should not have to much wear and tear.
It will be couple of months or so till I complete my seats. Still have plenty of time before summer to get this done.

LH Drive
03-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Working on the front seat upholstery layout. I had this piece of heavy saddle leather in Dark Chestnut thats chrome tanned laying around and used it for my sample. I like the two tone color contrast and will see how it looks with regular chestnut color.
Again, this will only be for the upper seat backs and the seat bottoms will only be covered in the lighter brown bullhide leather with tan stitching.
This would also make a nice layout for a photo album or tablet case cover.

LH Drive
03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Still looking for two seat backs with brackets as pictured to complete my seat project. Thanks