PDA

View Full Version : Warning to all diesel Defender owners!

RoverDover
03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
I just did the timing belt on my 90 and to my great dismay the big bolt on the front of the crank was not sufficiently tight. ( it came off with short breaker bar and no effort at all) the last person to tighten this did not tighten it sufficiently or loctite it. As a result, the woodruff keys were damaged and my truck has had less than ideal pump timing for a while. luckily there was no damage to the pulleys or crank, but things could have been much worse. I hope this warning will incite you to check the torque on this bolt and I will be very happy if it saves much trouble and expense to at least one other person.

jcb-memphis
03-23-2013, 08:01 PM
I just did the timing belt on my 90 and to my great dismay the big bolt on the front of the crank was not sufficiently tight. ( it came off with short breaker bar and no effort at all) the last person to tighten this did not tighten it sufficiently or loctite it. As a result, the woodruff keys were damaged and my truck has had less than ideal pump timing for a while. luckily there was no damage to the pulleys or crank, but things could have been much worse. I hope this warning will incite you to check the torque on this bolt and I will be very happy if it saves much trouble and expense to at least one other person.

Thanks!

jeff