PDA

View Full Version : Front main seal replacement

NC_Mule
03-03-2013, 08:00 PM
1970 IIA 2.25 gas 88"
So I looked in both the green bible and my Haynes and didn't find any specific info on replacing the front main seal. They address the rear main seal but not the front.
Do I have to strip the front of the engine......water pump, timing chain?
Leak is getting worse, need to address it.

Thanks pb

albersj51
03-04-2013, 01:01 AM
This should get you started:

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.eng_frontseal.html

I Leak Oil
03-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Al's article should give you all you need. However, I haven't personally had good luck with speedi-sleave's, especially on the front crank pulley. I finally got a new pulley and haven't had an issue since.

If you think you have all the bolts holding the front cover on and it still won't budge, you may have forgotten the oil pan bolts that also thread into it. Just a reminder, been there done that....

NC_Mule
03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Wow, great link. I'll degrease and see what I find. After three years owning this truck I think I'm the first owner to care about it so I doubt I'll get to take the easy route.
Thanks for the help.
pb

NC_Mule
05-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Radiator sprung a leak so while I have it out for replacement I'm going to tackle the ft main seal.
Main pulley nut is a monster I measure 43mm does that sound right? Want to verify before I special order the socket.
Thanks pb

Jim-ME
05-23-2013, 07:01 AM
I think I have the correct socket around here somewhere. I'll gladly lend it to you if you are willing to pay the shipping.
Jim

NC_Mule
05-23-2013, 08:06 AM
I think I have the correct socket around here somewhere. I'll gladly lend it to you if you are willing to pay the shipping.
Jim

Thats a excellent offer. I have everything apart less the pulley so I'm going to call around today for a 43mm (1-11/16) or
44mm (1-47/64) doubt thats around so may be 1-3/4. If I hit a dead end I'll take you up on your offer.
pb

Revtor
05-23-2013, 08:08 AM
giant adjustable wrench does the trick too..

NC_Mule
06-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Update:
A 1-11/16 is a hair too small so I took a little off the bolt with my grinder and it worked perfect. Wanted to stick with a socket so I could use air to get it off and my torque wrench to put it back on.

I followed the link below and the instructions to drill out the rivits. While I had my front cover off I inspected the timing gears, chain and chain pads. Everything looked great, only 48K on this engine. The front main seal was hard as a rock and had a split in it. I'm suprised it wasen't leaking more then is was.

Attached a pic of the small punch that I used to pop out the rivits, this and a 3/32" drill bit worked perfect. I drilled down 2mm or so then a few hits on the punch and the rivit came right out. No damage to the front cover. Ran a 1/8" bit through the cover holes, it only removes a little material. Then tapped the holes 4mmx.75 and used SS phillips screws. Think they were 10mm in length.
Truck is back together and on the road, no leaks!!