PDA

View Full Version : Rear sliding windows

CRiordan01
03-07-2013, 02:38 PM
I recently ordered replacement rear sliding window tracks for an upcoming overhaul of my roof and associated windows. While ordering the tracks, the question was raised if my side panels originally had windows, or if someone had cut them out of a solid side panel. I don't know the history on this truck, so I couldn't answer the question. But it got me thinking and the more I thought about it, I realized I haven't seen other series with rear sliding tracks like mine. If you look at the picture, you can see all the bolts around the window frame; so my question for you...is this someone's old handyman job or a legit older window frame?

busboy
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
They don't look like factory and are certainly not like my 1971 2a

east high
03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
That looks DIY to me.

CRiordan01
03-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Which begs the question...if this is DIY, will it be a mess to get RM replacement tracks installed? Not sure how they might need to be secured.

siii8873
03-07-2013, 05:06 PM
this could be just some added trim on the outside. Can you shoot a few pictures of the inside.

busboy
03-07-2013, 05:33 PM
this could be just some added trim on the outside. Can you shoot a few pictures of the inside.

The 3 factory drain holes and drain tubes for the lower tracks are not there so it was probably just a solid top that someone cut the window into it.

stomper
03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
If you are looking for some good condition original side panels, I know where there are 2 sets here in Maine that the gentleman is trying to sell.

SafeAirOne
03-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the existing rear window tracks? I suspect they're a lot better than factory ones.

CRiordan01
03-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Honestly, they don't function badly, but in cleaning up the vehicle (repainting, etc.) the old window trim really stands out. I had been planning to take apart the roof and have it cleaned up and repainted, so I was planning to upgrade these in the process. Questioning the wisdom of that notion now.

Here are some pictures from the interior...

SafeAirOne
03-08-2013, 10:21 AM
I'd just paint the outside trim the same color as the roofside to de-emphasize it, personally.

busboy
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I'd just paint the outside trim the same color as the roofside to de-emphasize it, personally.

I agree, the factory tracks are not very good at all, I've even been thinking about removing the whole set up and just replacing with a single solid piece of glass or Lexan.

o2batsea
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
My plan would be to get some roof side with the actual proper sliding windows and not waste another moment on those.
I know where you can get a set for cheap, with everything except pretty paint. They are in Arlington.

CRiordan01
03-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Appreciate the feedback from all of you. Right now, leaning toward just repainting the trim to match the sides and leave it at that (and returning the RM tracks I ordered). Just curious, what does a decent sets of sides cost these days? And O2batsea - what condition are the ones up in Arlington?

o2batsea
03-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Ooops, just called Pedro. He gave them to Freddie in Rockville MD. I will give him a call if you want. If he's willing to let them go I'm sure they are yours for the asking. They are painted with black rustoleum I think. They are complete with the glass and the bullet catches and everything. Go price one (unobtanium) bullet catch, and you'll see it would be worth the drive up 95.

o2batsea
03-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Hm Freddie's holding on to them. Oh well.

ArlowCT
03-08-2013, 09:05 PM
I like the look of your windows, I think they would look great painted to match the top! It hard to tell if your windows use original tracks or not. Seeing that you already have non-stock windows you may want to take a look at marine window track. It's often made of rubber and is sold as single for fixed glass or double track for two pieces of sliding glass.

http://www.beckson.com/channel.html

Looks like it may last a long time but it will not grow moss like the original track will, so for the purists it may not work ;).

luckyjoe
03-09-2013, 10:49 AM

I agree 100%. You have to decide which jobs you want to take-on. Some on here will have you replacing your whole truck if it's not up to their vision.

Kiloengineer
03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Just to play the devil's advocate, it looks like you have done a really nice job on the rest of the car so I think it would be much better to get some original side panels and rebuild and paint those. Just the cost of paint would make it worth doing it right. And you already have the best window tracks (RM) out there.

CRiordan01
03-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Appreciate all the feedback. I think I'm going to paint the sides on these to match the top (current tracks are definitely LR although mine haven't sprouted any plants)...i will keep the RM tracks and eventually do another set of original sides for either this vehicle or my future IIA which my spouse seemingly has agreed to:)

Pics to follow and we can debate if it is an improvement or not. Have a nice weekend.

cedryck
03-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Wise owl, supplies a usefull replacement for window channels, to replace your buggered and missing channelss that usually grow plants and moss after a considerable amount of time, (sorry RN), I have not used them, I replaced mine with oem parts from Rovers North and have nice sliding windows where the two Staffies can place their large triangle shaped heads out the windows and drool all over the side of my 88.

busboy
03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Wise owl, supplies a usefull replacement for window channels, to replace your buggered and missing channelss that usually grow plants and moss after a considerable amount of time, (sorry RN), I have not used them, I replaced mine with oem parts from Rovers North and have nice sliding windows where the two Staffies can place their large triangle shaped heads out the windows and drool all over the side of my 88.

I have tried replacing the factory track material with the exact same stuff (fabric wrapped spring steel) and the windows are too tight even the drivers door one, to me it;s junk, what am I missing? I see there are some rubber tracked ones, any comments?

stomper
03-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Did you lube them?

busboy
03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Did you lube them?
To be honest I don't remember it must be close to 20 years ago I changed them but I removed the lower track in the drivers side to get it to slide the track is still out and that's the only one that works. What do you lube yours with soap, lanolin?

stomper
03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
A good quality bicycle chain lube works great. I lube them to saturation so water can't penetrate the canvas and freeze in the winter, and it will repel water in the summer to prevent moss growth. WD-40 will work in a pinch, but it is too thin to lubricate for long.