PDA

View Full Version : 2;25 Diesel - Need Help Identifing Master Spline: injector timing

johnny.s.iii
03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Hi all,

I am in the middle of rebuilding my 2.25 Diesel (first time) and need some help in locating the master spline so that i can set the injection timing.

long story, but i think some mechanics got the timing off in a "rebuild", so i cant just set to EP to find the proper position.

I've looked in the manual, but the pictures in the book doesn't look like mine. I've attached a photo. Is it #1, the fat spline, or #2, the groove in the gear?

Thanks for your input.

johnny

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg475/elgrackle/Capture_zpsf7cbb449.png

SafeAirOne
03-10-2013, 05:05 AM
Of the 2 items identified in the photo, only #1 is a spline.

#2 is the offset groove that indexes the distributor on petrol engines. It continues on the other side of the skew gear (7:00 position in the photo).

johnny.s.iii
03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
thanks mark.

That's what I assumed, but i need to be sure. i've been through three mechanics who either didn't know what they were doing or didn't care.

just to clarify, with the master spline at roughly 10 o'clock (as shown), and the flywheel is reading 13 degrees, then i am 180 degrees out.

that's kind of what i thought. thanks again, not a lot of info out there and my manual doesn't look the same. i guess there aren't too many folks who have done this kind of work.

johnny