PDA

View Full Version : Best source for 24 volt batteries?

localsonly
03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Well i think i have killed the batteries in my 1973 Series III, FFR 24 volt.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good source to buy some new batteries?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Alford

busboy
03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Now I do know you can get 24v batteries but I always thought that the 24v Landrover was 2 12v in series. I get all my batteries at Costco, good price can pick up right away and good return policy.

o2batsea
03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
You have to wire two 12V in series, that is, you connect the NEG post of one to the POS post of the other. The POS post of the first battery is the hot feed and the NEG post of the second battery goes to ground.
Buy the heaviest battery you can afford. CCA numbers are worthless meters of battery quality and performance. Weight equals more lead equals longer life and better performance. My personal choices are Deka, Odyssey, and Exide. If you can afford AGM batteries, by all means buy them.

I Leak Oil
03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Just bring your old ones to your favorite parts store and they will take your money and old batteries and give you two brand new ones that will fit in the same place as your old ones. Wire them the same way as the old ones and enjoy driving your truck.

antichrist
03-15-2013, 07:18 AM
FWIW most places give you $5 for your old battery when you buy a new one. Advance Auto will even give you $5 if you just bring one in.
My local metal recycling center will pay by the pound or $7 a battery, so if you have an old heavy battery you can get somewhat more than $7 for it selling it by the pound.
I just got twenty cents a pound for 3 old ones so $27 instead of $15 I'd have gotten at the parts store.
I keep couple of scrap bins and make a trip when I have a good load, or am going that way anyway.

They are also a good source for less expensive (scrap) steel for various projects. I just got some heavy plate and diamond plate to make a winch bumper for my F-250.

cedryck
03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Interstate makes great batteries.