PDA

View Full Version : Parabolic Springs - I'm torn

Contractor
03-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I know, I know, I've searched and searched for days on end trying to make up my mind.

I need new suspension, shocks and springs.

I am very torn between going back with stock leaf springs and new shocks or putting on Rocky Mountain Parabolics (no offense to our host intended) and new shocks........I know they are not even in the same category, but I'm trying to justify the additional cost in my head.

I can get leafs, shocks and bolts for around $600 (plus shipping) from RN......or, I can spend another $300+ and end up with the Rocky Mountains. Are they really worth that much more? Anything is going to be better than what I have now and I'm not looking for a Buick Ride.

Opinions?

I need a bunch of other stuff too (fuel tank, outrigger, brake drums, etc.), so I'm trying to keep this within reason but don't want to short change myself in the end over $300.

Thanks

stomper
03-13-2013, 08:19 AM
I can only speak from my experience, and I have not ridden long enough in a para equiped truck to make a good comparison, but I don't seem to mind the ride of my truck with stock spings under it, and many others have chosen to stick with stock springs over the years because of questionable quality issues with the paras.

Here is another option to throw at you though. Is there a spring shop near you? a shop that actually MAKES springs. Check the yellow pages or the internet. it may be cheaper if they can make you a set of springs than the other 2 options.

TeriAnn
03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
The answer depends on where you anticipate driving and how important a soft sprung vehicle is to you.

Parabolics tend to deflect more than leaf springs from the same force which is why they take different shocks than a leaf sprung truck. But since you have only 3 or 4 leafs each separated from the other except at the ends they twist side to side easier on curves giving your truck more side sway. The construction of parabolics allows more and greater axle wrap when full engine torque is needed to turn the rear tyres. The axle wrap tends to break traction and leaves you stationary with spinning tyres in places you used to be able to climb with leaf springs. You might find it a bit chancier to take washboard roads at moderate speeds when you have a load on a roof rack.

But if you are not pushing the truck's driving envelope off road, don't load a roof rack and spend most of your time on the tarmac you will find the ride from parabolics to be a little softer with minimal down sides.

I have had a standing offer for a free set of new parabolics and shocks from a manufacturer for over 20 years now and have yet to want to take up the offer. I just see too many inherent disadvantage to them for the way and where I drive.

If you want to stay with leaf springs find a public scale. Get a front weight axle weight and a rear axle weight with your truck loaded as you would take it on a normal trip & have a full fuel tank. Then purchase the leaf springs designed to carry those weights. Use the same springs on both sides unless you have a RHD truck with fuel tank under the right seat. When you have handed springs the truck will sit at a tilt with no driver and it takes about 200 pounds more on the heavier side for the truck to sit level.

willincalgary
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
I have a set of Rocky Mountain Parabolics. The ride quality difference between the parabolics and my old, good condition leaf springs was quite noticeable (fronts were basically new, rears were older and started to lose camber; neither was significantly rusted; gotta love Alberta). On road the truck is completely different, I no longer wince when I see a pothole or expansion joint. The truck rolls much more than it used to in corners but you get used to that and compensate by slowing down, probably a good thing. Offroad I have managed to climb twisty tracks with the parabolics I suspect would have left me cross axled on my old springs. I haven't noticed the downside that Terriann speaks of with axle wrap.
Keep in mind the unsprung weight of the axle doesn't change significantly going to parabolics, you still have an iron girder connecting your wheels together (although they are a bit lighter) so the ride quality is going to be better but there are no miracles. I have an 88" with a safari top and went with the 3 leaf rears. No regrets.

jonnyc
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
I recently weighed the same question for my 88' and ended up going with the unhanded leafs. Very happy with my decision.

I Leak Oil
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Ahhh the old parabolic vs. stock spring discussion. I've had RM springs for better part of 9 years now and have no complaints. Rides on the road quite well, has performed fantastically off road and no wimpers.

My advice...find someone with a set and see if they will let you drive it or atleast take you for a ride in it. Then make the decision for yourself. Otherwise you're bound to get not much more than opinions like I've offered above.

The suggestion to find a local spring shop is also worth looking into.

Sherony
03-13-2013, 12:05 PM
I installed the proline/procomp kit from our hosts almost a year ago, and I have been very pleased overall. The ride is very nice and the price is excellent. With a heavy load I have noticed more body roll than I like, but it has never felt unsafe. I may have an extra leaf added to the fronts to combat the body roll, but I do not regret my purchase.

greenmeanie
03-13-2013, 01:47 PM
One does wonder how LRs most powerful leaf sprung truck ever managed all those years being loaded at up to 150% of its designed capacity while being thrashed around off road by the world's least sympathetic drivers all the while running on parabolics.

Its all in choosing the right part for your application. I Leak Oil has the right idea. Ride em and see and remember you have a 70 odd hp engine pushing you so the limitations induced by V8 power have to be considered with that in mind.

busboy
03-13-2013, 02:44 PM
If you want to hang anything heavy on the front you can only get a 2 leaf front spring and it's not enough.

I Leak Oil
03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Mine has a custom bumper which isn't exactly light and a winch up front and I don't find the 2 leafs to be inadequate. I guess it depends on what you define as heavy though.

busboy
03-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Mine has a custom bumper which isn't exactly light and a winch up front and I don't find the 2 leafs to be inadequate. I guess it depends on what you define as heavy though.

Yeh I mean heavy like that 14,000lb gooseneck hooked to the front of my Landrover in my Avatar, or a loaded tandem dump trailer, hitch weights 1200 to 2000lbs.

smukai
03-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I did mine years ago. 8+ years ago. I haven't looked back.

Back then, Rovers North only offered RM parabolics which I paired with Old Man Emu suspension. This was back when my truck was my daily driver too.

The immediate improvement in ride quality was phenomenal. Roads where I thought I would need kidney transplants, even things as simple as railroad crossings all suddenly seemed comfortable. My ex-girlfriend (now my wife), who was hesitant to ride in it for any distance, suddenly was happy to climb in (or maybe it was the promised ring for her finger that swayed her).

Does it sway more around corners? Yes. But it is a truck and since it is a Land Rover I'm never driving that fast anyway.

I went heavy duty front and rear with the plan to be able to carry quite a load and wear a winch full time. Neither of which I have ever done.

Do it. Enjoy.

Contractor
03-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all of the advice.

After several conversations with Rocky Mountain, I ended up getting their Parabolics and new Pro-Comp Shocks. They should deliver one day next week hopefully and then I'll find some time to put them on and let everyone know what I think.

Thanks again.

TeriAnn
03-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Does it sway more around corners? Yes. But it is a truck and since it is a Land Rover I'm never driving that fast anyway.

What bothers me about extra sway is a little thing called the dynamic centre of balance. Side to side sway moves the vehicle centre of balance while it sways. If the dynamic centre of balance moves outside the vehicle wheelbase the truck falls over. The extra side sway of parabolics can push a Rover over while driving trails with some side slope. I've seen it happen on a Moab trip with a parabolic sprung truck following me.

willincalgary
03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
What bothers me about extra sway is a little thing called the dynamic centre of balance. Side to side sway moves the vehicle centre of balance while it sways. If the dynamic centre of balance moves outside the vehicle wheelbase the truck falls over. The extra side sway of parabolics can push a Rover over while driving trails with some side slope. I've seen it happen on a Moab trip with a parabolic sprung truck following me.

Trade-offs abound in vehicular design. You want articulation, you put up with sway. There is no perfect solution, only tradeoffs. Electronic detachable sway bars and parabolics would be a nice combination.

I Leak Oil
03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
My truck flopped over several years ago with stock springs. It's never gone over with parabolics. There is a lot more to a truck flopping over than just the type of spring it has. There is an arguement to be made that the articulation can help keep the dynamic center more on center in many situations as well. Neither is a real argument for or against in my opinion.
Some are comfortable with the way a parabolic truck rides, some aren't. That's why it's best to test drive one before you buy.

Skookumchuck
03-17-2013, 05:40 AM
When I bought my Rover it had parabolics and Oldman emu shocks already installed, so I have no experince with stock springs. That said it has never presented a problem off road and it rides fine on the highway. I have the Rover off road almost everyday due to where the truck is when back home so it gets a workout crawling around the mountians of BC.

cedryck
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
My only down side of para's on my series is the way it sits. It has a lean to one side, tried swapping them no real difference, I just live with it now. The ride is awsome, off road great.

busboy
03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
My only down side of para's on my series is the way it sits. It has a lean to one side, tried swapping them no real difference, I just live with it now. The ride is awsome, off road great.

How much do you weigh?............... sorry couldn't resist.

cedryck
03-25-2013, 10:08 AM
soaking wet at 160 pounds.

busboy
03-25-2013, 11:30 AM
soaking wet at 160 pounds.

:D:D:D. Then I don't have the answer for you.:D Perhaps you could use a slightly longer shackle on the corner that's low.

cedryck
03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
no big deal like I said we live with it,