PDA

View Full Version : cummins 4bt swap

blackhawkrover
03-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has dropped a cummins 4bt into a series III? I have a 3.5 Rover v-8 in mine now. It gets horrible gas mileage.....when it actually runs. The MAF and ECU (in my case) have ZERO reliability.

Either way I am looking to swap it out with a deisel and I am just looking for soem advice.

Thank you

Revtor
03-17-2013, 12:14 PM
there is a 4btswaps forum out there, I think with an LR section...

east high
03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
There are lots of diesel options out there. Looks like this guy over in Bend does swaps on the regular.

http://www.eco-offroad.com/home/services/diesel-engine-conversions

I Leak Oil
03-17-2013, 08:07 PM
There is no just "dropping" a cummings into a series truck. You're 3.5 could be improved in terms of reliability by removing the FI stuff and adding a simple carburator and intake.

SafeAirOne
03-17-2013, 09:01 PM
There is no just "dropping" a cummings into a series truck. You're 3.5 could be improved in terms of reliability by removing the FI stuff and adding a simple carburator and intake.

The other half of his argument was the horrible fuel economy of the 3.5, which I suspect carb-ing will worsen (or at least not improve). Having said that, I'm not sure where the Cummins falls in terms of fuel economy. Surely it's got to be better than the 13MPG of a 3.5.

clsolis
03-17-2013, 09:54 PM
I know a guy who I'm pretty sure dropped a power stroke into a CT110. Prob could find out the details. It's crazy fast, strong, reliable, and good gas economy.

disco2hse
03-21-2013, 12:20 AM
The other half of his argument was the horrible fuel economy of the 3.5, which I suspect carb-ing will worsen (or at least not improve). Having said that, I'm not sure where the Cummins falls in terms of fuel economy. Surely it's got to be better than the 13MPG of a 3.5.

I'm getting 21 US/MPG on the open road - 109 V8. Keep it tuned and reduce your costs.

Of course, a newer TD will deliver better economy and keep the power up.

I do like the sound of a cummins with turbo.

Boston
03-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Ignoring the obvious Tdi and 2.8 Powerstroke options there is a guy in Virginia installing MB 5cylinder engines.
But consider in all of this, the expense of the conversion and how long its going to take until you reach break even on fuel savings.

o2batsea
03-21-2013, 05:39 AM
The best option is to keep the 3.5 and do a little bit of performance improvement. Go check out aluminumv8.com for enhancements.
Installing a diesel will mean completely re engineering everything.

busboy
03-24-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm a little late to the thread just got back from vacation but I'm a Cummins guy and have loved their engines for a lot of years, I have owned the 5.9 and currently own a 6.7 (slightly modified 525HP and around 1000ftlbs) but have been around the 4BT for many years and driven many. I can tell you they have "sweet" spots that give mileage I'm not going to tell except they don't like to turn high RPM and give good fuel efficiency. I don't think they would do well in a Landrover for a bunch of reasons. 1 the low gearing, 2 the incredible torque produced I think would easily break the Landrover drive train. 3 they don't like to rev high. 4 they weigh a ton. If I thought it a good idea I would have done it also.. Just my 2 cents of Cummins.

I Leak Oil
03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
.....and they make a heck of a racket (even for a diesel) and they aren't exactly the smoothest running engine. They work fine if you're driving a bread truck though!

busboy
03-25-2013, 11:26 AM
.....and they make a heck of a racket (even for a diesel) and they aren't exactly the smoothest running engine. They work fine if you're driving a bread truck though!
I found by adding a qt of 2 stroke mix to each tank of fuel really quieted things down and helped lube the injector pump, I agree about the noise, I owned a new 2001 5.9 for awhile which was by far the noisiest one produced.