PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Engine Oil Level

jdesigns2001
03-19-2013, 07:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any information on the appropriate oil level for off-road and on-road driving in a Series 2? My inclination is to run with the oil filled to the "H" mark, but I have heard that if you are all the way at the H mark this could cause aeration in the oil when driving off-road at extreme angles since one side of the crank would be fully submerged in oil. I have tried running mine at the midpoint between the H and the L, but when I come to a stop on a down hill slope I have noticed a brief dip in oil pressure before the momentum shifts to a stop. I am pretty sure that my oil pump and the o-ring at the oil pickup is good, since I replaced it a few years ago and my truck is only a Sunday driver. Thanks for any information!

-John

I Leak Oil
03-19-2013, 07:57 AM
I have to keep mine full or it loses pressure on extreme down hills. No issues in off camber situations though. I've never heard of any first hand issues with aeration (foaming) when the oil level is within range. If it's overfull then that could be a different story.

LaneRover
03-21-2013, 07:56 AM
I would worry less about aeration and more about starvation. Once out in California My truck was pointed down so steeply that it was briefly starved of oil. It didn't seem to bother it too much in the long run but I didn't like it.

Jim-ME
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
I keep my 2.5 NAD to the H level. I did recently go down a steep slope that used to cause my 2.25 to show 0 oil pressure. I did not have that problem with the current engine. Same slope but much better oil pressure.
Jim

stomper
03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm usually too focused on my driving to look at the oil pressure gauge. I'll have to try and remember to check next time.

LaneRover
03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I heard the oil pump . . . didn't need to look . . .