PDA

View Full Version : Series exhaust sytems,

cedryck
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Recently replaced my series exhaust with some oem, and proline parts, my first oem system lasted 6 years which from what I understand about series trucks is a lifetime in New Enland. So throwing out the question, is the stainless steel system peaking at aroung 500$ worth the money?

TedW
03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
I live on the coast of Maine - salt on the roads, salt in the air. Lots of rain and snow. Drive my truck all winter. Bought my SS system in '95. Had to replace the intermediate pipe in '04 (under lifetime warrantee). Everything else has been fine - In my view it is a great investment. Muffler has a nice patina and works great.

Just my $0.02.

Ted

o2batsea
03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Dunno about where you live, but we have a great muffler shop in our area that can bend up a stainless system. ISTR that DC had one done for his Tdi 130 and it was only three hundred or so. I'd ask around and see if there is a place nearby.

TedW
03-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Dunno about where you live, but we have a great muffler shop in our area that can bend up a stainless system. ISTR that DC had one done for his Tdi 130 and it was only three hundred or so. I'd ask around and see if there is a place nearby.

Good advice.

Pete
03-20-2013, 05:01 AM
Agreed...I had one custom built locally from my welder and at the time was free....has lasted me about 15 yrs with no issues. If you can't find anyone PM me and I can get a price for him to build more.

TedW
03-20-2013, 08:05 AM
There is something to be said for the lifetime guarantee on the system from our hosts - also, there should be no surprises in the fit department.

cedryck
03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Interesting, I was not aware there is a lifetime warranty from out hosts, thanks.

TedW
03-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Interesting, I was not aware there is a lifetime warranty from out hosts, thanks.

Yup - says lifetime warrantee for original purchaser - comes with ss hangers, too.

o2batsea
03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
PM me about the "lifetime warranty"

Jim-ME
03-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Unless you have to modify it to fit.

luckyjoe
03-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Unless you have to modify it to fit.

Or have a 109...

I Leak Oil
03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
I think a fully sst system is money well spent. I bought one from Atlantic British in '94 and just replaced it in 2011, and only because the flanges were made of regular carbon steel and just rotted away. In a hurry I replaced it with a cheap non stainless system and it's already showing signs of needing to be replaced. I'll go with a sst system again, commercially made or custom, not sure yet. A full sst system will outlast the rest of the truck.

TedW
03-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Jason: Did AB Guarantee their system?

I Leak Oil
03-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Jason: Did AB Guarantee their system?

I don't think so. It was 19 years ago though....It was just a shade over $200 at the time and they don't sell it any longer.

Kiloengineer
03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
AB has a steel complete system on sale now for 169. I figure if it lasts 10 years I might have saved up money for a SS system by then.

NC_Mule
03-21-2013, 08:52 PM
If your going to go with steel don't buy the off brand buy the genuine Land Rover parts. See the attached pic of my muffler, that was installed 4 months ago. I have a hot water faucet outside my house and I wash the salt off the frame, exhaust and body everyday or every other day when the roads are salt covered. I replaced the whole exhaust system at the same time and the official land Rover parts look much better. I went with the off brand muffler because our host was out of stock of both Rover and Proline so I went to British Atlantic.

I Leak Oil
03-22-2013, 04:45 AM
AB has a steel complete system on sale now for 169. I figure if it lasts 10 years I might have saved up money for a SS system by then.

I have that AB system on now because that's all I could get in a pinch at the time. Been on for a couple years and it's showing signs of rust and the rubber part of the hangers split, leaving it hanging in less than a year. I'd avoid it like the plague....

jac04
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM
...also, there should be no surprises in the fit department.

I found plenty of surprises when I installed my NRP stainless system from our hosts. Had to modify the tail pipe hanger, make a custom center hanger (center hanger doesn't come in the kit), modify manifold connection, and get a different tail pipe made.

IMO, it's not worth the $600. Too much fit-up and modifications required. And, really, $600 for an exhaust and it doesn't even come with the center hanger?

TedW
03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
I found plenty of surprises when I installed my NRP stainless system from our hosts. Had to modify the tail pipe hanger, make a custom center hanger (center hanger doesn't come in the kit), modify manifold connection, and get a different tail pipe made.

IMO, it's not worth the $600. Too much fit-up and modifications required. And, really, $600 for an exhaust and it doesn't even come with the center hanger?

Aside from all that, how do you like the NRP?

jac04
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Aside from all that, how do you like the NRP?

^^ That's like asking "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

All kidding aside, the end result is pretty nice. It looks great and it sounds fairly good. It's definitely louder than a stock exhaust, but not too bad.

Jim-ME
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
When I found out that the whole warranty was void because the head pipe needed to be cut and extended that finished me. I'm going with a system from the UK for my next one. No it isn't SS.
Jim

Kiloengineer
03-23-2013, 09:21 AM
When I found out that the whole warranty was void because the head pipe needed to be cut and extended that finished me. I'm going with a system from the UK for my next one. No it isn't SS.
Jim

What brand of system is available from UK? I just received my system from AB and it is Britpart. If I knew there was a good quality SS system that actually fits then I might consider swapping it. But ordering from the UK and getting Britpart anyway wouldn't help much. It's a dilema.

TeriAnn
03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
I have always thought the stock tubing diameter and muffler were too restrictive. So I just went to my local muffler shop that does custom work and had them bend me up an exhaust system one diameter larger than stock and add a free flow muffler. Ended up bring cheaper than buying the parts what were supposed to fit. I drove in, read a couple chapters in my book and drove out to enjoy the rest of the day.

ignotus
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
What brand of system is available from UK? I just received my system from AB and it is Britpart. If I knew there was a good quality SS system that actually fits then I might consider swapping it. But ordering from the UK and getting Britpart anyway wouldn't help much. It's a dilema.

I went with a UK supplier for my 109 project vehicle. Since I am putting a 2.5DT into a 1960 Series 2 I needed a custom exhaust. I was going to go with a SS system for long life, but decided on the regular steel instead. My reasoning is thet if my plans come to fruition I can get a mild steel system repaired in a Third world country easier. I went with Steve Parker Land Rovers LTD, www.steve-parker.co.uk (http://www.steve-parker.co.uk).
It was not without drama though. I think the system I got was for a Series 3 frame not a 2. After trying to fit there was about 2 weeks of emails and pictures and refitting and measuring and angle finding. Steve Parker himself finally answered about the issues. The second pipe had to be bent an additional 10 deg, the third pipe lengthened 1.5". A new center hanger bracket made and installed, the muffler bolts to the frame above the rear axle, the tail pipe comes out behind the rear spring so a new tailpipe hanger bracket had to be figured out and made and installed. My son-in-law and I figured out the 10 deg issue and surmised the lengthening. Parker finally said they do add the 1.5" when they do the job in the shop.
I took my bits to my local repair guy and they did the bend and splice job in half an hour($40). The kit did come with all the hardware needed.

gene

Jim-ME
03-24-2013, 09:56 AM
I've decided to go with Steve Parker myself. mild steel pipes with a SS muffler. Just waiting to save up the money.
Jim

cedryck
03-25-2013, 10:09 AM
For stainless in excess of 500$ I would like all the right hangers, and want to do zero mods to make it fit.

I Leak Oil
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
For stainless in excess of 500$ I would like all the right hangers, and want to do zero mods to make it fit.

That would be my expectation as well. The britpart crap I have on now fit fine, it's just cheap and isn't going to last much longer. If britpart can make it fit.....