PDA

View Full Version : Series II Oil Leak

fbnksrover
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
I have read on previous threads that rovers are prone to leaking oil, but can anyone comment on the enclosed photos and let me know if this leak is normal or needs to be troublesho7993t?79927994

stomper
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
How long was it sitting to create that puddle? The third picture looks like antifreeze, so that should be addressed ASAP if that is indeed what it is.

Next time you drain the oil, put on a new chrush washer, and wrap the plug threads in teflon tape.

east high
03-22-2013, 12:07 PM
My tranny makes a puddle like that after a few days. I need to pull it and do the gaskets, but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment. If the only source is around the plug do like stomper says and replace the washer and wrap the threads.

ThePhotographer
03-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Agreed with Stomper, definitely seeing some serious green in the 3rd image. Is there a sweet smell to it?

Revtor
03-22-2013, 05:12 PM
looks pretty normal (unless its antifreeze) but Id investigate it anyway! may be an easy fix

jdesigns2001
03-23-2013, 03:26 PM
My series 2 leaves several spots to that magnitude and worse. Sadly, I generally consider that normal unless it is really loosing oil fast. I did have a coolant leak at the drain plug on the radiator that caused a puddle just like yours. The coolant was dripping off of the bottom of the radiator and blowing back onto the oil pan and gear box while driving, then when parked it would leave oil/antifreeze puddles as everything dripped off of the engine and gear box.

CKubinec
03-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Old Land Rover owners pretty much expect something to be leaking. It kind of comes with the breed. Myself I rather chase down the leaks and fix them as soon as possible. I would do some detective work on your leaks. The second picture almost looks like a combination of fluids. Part looks like oil but the other antifreeze. If you do your own grunt work it would be helpful to take some rags and carb cleaner and clean as much of the drippings from the bottom as possible. Yes it is a pita job. Now watch closely to see if it becomes obvious from where it comes. Driving makes most leaks blow the juice all over so you may want to just run the engine while setting still, shut it off, then climb down under with a good strong light to see what shows up. A clean cardboard on the floor may help find where the leak came from first. You may need to run the engine more than once to find the leak. Also you can have about any garage do a pressure test on the cooling system to find leaks. Just make sure the mechanic knows not to pump the system to over 10 PSI. Otherwise you may find lots of leaks. There are also dyes that mechanics put in the oil that they can trace with special lights but thats more technical and surely more expensive. Best of Luck!

I Leak Oil
03-24-2013, 07:29 AM
The biggest source of oil leaking from the transmission in my experience is up top from the selector seals and from the breather being blocked. I agree with Stomper that the last picture seems to have coolant in it. Clean everything really well then try to find the source of your concerns.