PDA

View Full Version : Stalls when coming to a stop downhill

artpeck
03-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Runs fine, never happens on flats or uphill. But if I am going downhill and stop at a downhill angle the idle slows until it stops. Just seems to starve out. If i choke it a bit or rev it its fine.

I am assuming this would be a float level issue (zenith) and I need the float to float a bit higher before it shuts off flow so the bowl is a bit more full. Before I crack it open however I thought I would tap the wisdom here to see if anyone had experienced a similar issue. I hate carb issues.

airbornrover
03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Check the fuel bowl, connections might be loose. May have a clog in the fuel needle. Check the lines carefully you may have a split in them somewhere along it. If you have a fuel change switch your gasket might have dryed out.

Dietersrover
03-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Could be a loose wire to the ignition coil, or the ground wire the the distributor. Gravity could be your issue. Check all those loose bits first.

artpeck
03-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks. It definitely a fuel issue. I can set the hand throttle higher or the choke and it doesn't happen. That and I have been through the whole electrical system with new connectors where appropriate and dielectric grease. I will tackle the carb...again...

busboy
03-24-2013, 09:42 PM
There is a rubber O ring about 2 inches in diameter between the two halves of the carb that's not sealing properly, also think of the possibility of a very slightly bent clutch disc and the clutch not completely disengaging.

I Leak Oil
03-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Sounds like it could be a fuel issue as you suspect. Are there any other symptoms? Black smoke? Hard restarting? Back firing?

Should be easy enough to check your float level. Check the castings for the zenith warp while you have it apart and check the O-ring too.

I've heard of ignition coils with wonky fluid levels causing odd issues when turning left or right too. Just an outside shot though.

busboy
03-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I had the same problem some years ago I repeatedly did carb rebuilds and checked float levels and replaced seats but found replacing the large o ring would cure it for awhile. I eventually removed the Zenith, gave it away and installed a Weber which cured the problem you have but I found I didn't like the Weber in general. I sourced another used Zenith and it's been good since. I did have a dragging clutch disc also which I think helped impact the problem as well.

artpeck
03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
I replaced the O ring when I cracked the carb a few months ago. At the same time I adjusted the float (meaning I bent it) to lower the level a bit as it was running rich. In hindsight I think the rich issue was the o ring and I over corrected the float. Will crack it open this weekend and see if I can fix it. Appreciate the thoughts.