PDA

View Full Version : What flywheel do I have here?

printjunky
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I finally thought I'd solved my flywheel problem by ordering one from a guy on ebay that does diesel conversions on Rovers. He said he had (has) a stack two feet high, none of which are grooved, only rusted.

So, great, right?

Well the first problem is that he has the same photo of a petrol flywheel on both a petrol and diesel auction. So I of course, didn't catch the fact that he had two different wheels listed and clicked on the diesel one (wrong one, obv.).

And I did not realize anything was wrong at all until I have had the wheel turned (it DID have a groove) and was up underneath trying to get a 30+ pound steel-toothed discus up in place. There was NO WAY it was fitting.

Back to the basement to take a closer look. And it is about .25 too large in diameter.

I continue to look at it. It is about .375 thicker.

I should have known something was wrong when it arrived with six countersunk bolt/stud holes, into which were pressed (very tightly according to the machinist) bolts. But I just figured this was some kind of PO modification (flywheel mods not being uncommon) or a variant I was unfamiliar with. I depended on my assumption that this clearly knowledgeable person on the other end of the transaction had sent me the correct flywheel. Yes, naive, I know. It's my nature to quash cynicism whenever possible.

Anyway, the other party is sending me another flywheel, apparently.

My question is, what do I have here? (I'm not convinced this is just a diesel wheel, as the pics and drawings I've seen of diesel wheels look much more like a petrol wheel (the only difference being the ring gear as I understand?).

And also, what would be the likelihood of me selling it to try to get any of my machining costs back out of it ($55 - turning, r&r dowels, drive out bolts.) The original cost of the wheel was $66 with shipping - so I have about $120 into it.

I can just send it back to him, but then I'm definitely out that extra expense (and in my life at the moment that is not something I can easily write off without at least trying to get some of it back).

SafeAirOne
03-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Well...I can say it definitely DOESN'T look like a 2.5 NA diesel flywheel.

Cutter
03-28-2013, 08:24 PM
2.6L (haven't seen the one in mine, just throwing it out there)? Not a diesel but if you bought it from who I think you did, he has a lot of those laying around.

I Leak Oil
03-29-2013, 06:50 AM
I'm guessing that is a modified flywheel made in an attempt to fit a different engine, transmission for a combination of both. Or perhaps its not a Land Rover flywheel at all.

No matter how you slice it it's not going to work for you. If you don't have any luck, I have a flywheel from a 2.25L petrol that you can have for the price of shipping. It needs to be resurfaced though.

Les Parker
03-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Looks like a Perkins 4 Cyl to me !

busboy
03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Sorry to hear you are still having problems and don't have it back together yet. If it was me I would order another starter ring gear and take the ring gear and your original flywheel to the machine shop, have them install the ring gear then machine the flywheel surface. You will end up with a new ring gear and a true flywheel guaranteed to fit. Like I said before the machine shop only had mine 2 1/2 hours.

printjunky
03-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Busboy, after I broke the first ring, I called around and ring gears in my price range were all coming from UK and 2 weeks out. Of course that was 3 weeks ago now. Hindsight.

And it (unsurprisingly) looks like we might have a winner, Les.

This is from a Perkins motor (and is being re-purposed into a high-end turntable, apparently). Those countersunk holes look familiar!

Cutter
03-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Well now you know what to do with it.

I Leak Oil
03-30-2013, 07:37 AM
This is from a Perkins motor (and is being re-purposed into a high-end turntable, apparently). Those countersunk holes look familiar!

That flywheel looks nothing like the one you bought though. The crank mounting holes are different as well as the clutch disc holes.
The one you bought appears to have the correct crank mounting pattern and has the 3 smaller holes just like your original. Perhaps someone modified an original flywheel to fit a perkins? Seems like a lot of work for nothing but a possibility...

busboy
03-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Busboy, after I broke the first ring, I called around and ring gears in my price range were all coming from UK and 2 weeks out. Of course that was 3 weeks ago now. Hindsight.8034

I have vowed to never again remove the transmission without having a starter ring gear in my hand, I too was stranded after pulling the trans to replace the clutch and pressure plate only to find a couple of broken teeth that weren't there 6 months prior, mine had to come from the UK also.

Les Parker
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
So, now you know my initials L.P. and whence elpea comes from...... Garrard SP3 with diamond stylus....

RoverDover
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Well...I can say it definitely DOESN'T look like a 2.5 NA diesel flywheel.

X2!

RoverDover
04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I am a machinist and can resurface a fly wheel in a hour. changing the ring gear might take another hour, the time it takes for the oven to get hot, I remove the old gear and resurface the wheel. then on goes the new gear (try not to burn your fingers using cheap welders gloves) there are thousands of machine shops in the country that can do this!