PDA

View Full Version : Galvanizing

hoppyrover
04-05-2013, 08:42 AM
We have removed the windscreen frame, bumper, roof rack and many other pieces to have then refinished. I thought I had a local company that could do the work but that may not be the case. Any advice about getting items dipped would be appreciated including the prep work required for the metal, venting the pieces for dipping, best process for dipping, company that is familiar with doing this kind of work, preferably eastern U.S. Thanks.

SafeAirOne
04-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Click on "Design Considerations" and/or "Fabrication Considerations" in the left sidebar of this page on the American Galvanizers Association website (http://www.galvanizeit.org/designing-fabricating/) and find everything you ever wanted to know about the topic.

Somewhere on their site they also have a list of galvanizers in the USA.

I Leak Oil
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
The eastern U.S. is a big place. I'm sure someone more local can provide a better idea of who can do it in your area.

ArlowCT
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Where are you located?

hoppyrover
04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Louisville, Kentucky. I have been talking to the people at Gateway Galvanizing across the river in Jeffersonville, Indiana. I may still be able to get them to do it, was just looking for other ideas--maybe someone that has done the windscreen frame. I'm a little concerned about ruining the piece by warping and/or material left inside the piece reacting and damaging the piece.

o2batsea
04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Mine came thru without any problems. I prepared it by having it chemically stripped. That takes off everything both inside and out, leaving a clean surface for the galvy. Wouldn't worry much about a frame. I have two spare 2A ones and a S3. They are easy to come by.
Even my bulkhead, I just let them dip it without doing anything special to prepare it. Came out fine. What you need to do is spend some time with your MAPP torch and clear out the holes and blobs.

hoppyrover
04-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Now I know what to do this weekend.