PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify my engine/carb

Buster
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I just purchased this Series I (hybrid). The body is Series I, the trans 2a, and I was told the engine Series III. Have pretty much ID'd the carb as a Weber 32/34 DMTL. Which, according to some, was not offered in the Series, only on the Defender. It's possible the carb was an add-on to a 2.25. So, I need help with a few things. How do I find out the size of this engine? Is it a 2.25 or a 2.5? There are some identifiers on the Intake manifold, for example, HRC1303 is easy to see, a Qualcast emblem, and the number 5. Where would a number be that would identify the engine precisely? Also, I need a rebuild kit for this carb. I don't find one on this website. Any suggestions? Additionally, I need the solenoid that fits near the fuel inlet - the part # off the Defender 90 engine manual is RTC3663. Anyone have one of those they'd want to sell? Finally, is there anything special about the ignition coil for this engine? Seems to me a 12v coil would do the trick, from any auto parts store. The original one from this website is a bit pricey at 100 bucks. So, lots of questions from a newbie. Thanks in advance!

albersj51
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
You can use the 2 barrel weber on the 2.25l as long as you have the intake manifold from the defender than it came from...or you can purchase the kit (intake and carb) from Pierce Manifolds in Cali

I Leak Oil
04-08-2013, 01:13 PM
The casting numbers on the manifold will tell you nothing about your engine. You need to locate the engine number. IIRC it's on the right side toward the front of the block.

A 12 volt, 3 ohm coil should work fine for you (assuming your truck is 12V).

SafeAirOne
04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/engno.htm

Buster
04-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the great info and link. I've looked for the engine sn where it says to look, but I just can't find it. And I was mistaken, the numbers I saw earlier are on the block, not the intake manifold.

Buster
04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Under the exhaust manifold, near the bottom of the block there's the numer 188U2 A. The 2 may be something else, pretty difficult to read. Any guesses?

Andrew IIA
04-09-2013, 01:04 PM
I can't help with the engine, but I agree that the carb is a weber 32/34 DMTL, same as I have on my 63 SIIA with a 2.25 motor. They were original equipment on some early defenders. Try Pierce Manifolds for a rebuild kit/parts.

Buster
04-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the website. My carb has two solenoids wired to the ignition switch. Does yours have one or two, and do you have a mechanical fuel pump or electric?

Andrew IIA
04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Two solenoids on mine. One on the left side of the carb and the other on the front facing side of the carb. I can't say that i understand their function well. The front facing one, next to the fuel inlet, is a fuel-shutoff-in-case-of-a-fire solenoid I think. I know that if the left side solenoid is disconnected the motor will still run but will run like cr@p. Standard LR mechanical fuel pump.

I think I have a manual for this carb if you would like a copy; pm me your email addy.

Left Side
Front

Buster
04-09-2013, 09:49 PM
what I can gather from a bit of research on other forums, the side solenoid should shut off fuel if the ignition is off. The front one stops back flow into the tank. It is interesting to note that in the Defender 90 engine manual, (found online) this carb is shown with both solenoids for the electric fuel pump model, and only the side one for the mech fuel pump.