PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump leaking

2manykids4a7
04-08-2013, 08:09 PM
I was getting ready to take the rover (1975 Series 3 FFR) out tonight, I started it up and while it was idling I noticed a new drip. Fuel was leaking from the fuel pump area. It didn't appear to be the gasket, it looked more like it was coming from the bottom of the pump (although I must confess I didn't look all that closely). In my eagerness to "do something" I took the pump off (came off without too much trouble although one of the nuts came off with the post) and then I had to call it quits to do homework with kids and get them to bed etc. Before I go back to it (not sure when time will allow me to) I was wondering if anyone had any advice from walking down this road before?

I should add that after it sat for the winter I did have to work the manual pumping handle on it for quite a while to get fuel flowing to the carb, don't know if that might have caused the leak.

Here are some of my questions (pretty sure they will multiply!)

Is it worth just getting a new gasket and seeing if that does it?

Assuming it isn't the gasket, is it worth trying to rebuild it ($24 for a genuine kit) or just spend the extra little bit to get a proline replacement ($35)?

Is there anything I can do without taking it apart to try and find the source of the leak?

After a search through the archives I found lots of people going to electric pumps, is that something that should be on my radar?

Thanks, Steve..

airbornrover
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Check to see if a rodent didnt eat through the fuel line. Double check to see if the fitting needs tightening. What does the rubber gasket look like?

CKubinec
04-08-2013, 10:38 PM
It is too bad you didn't look things over a little closer. If you think the fuel lines were tight and not mouse chewed and the drip was coming from the bottom of the pump then the pump is most likely toast. As for if to rebuild or buy new it depends on what you want. Some guys are purists and insist on fixing the original. Myself I would buy the new original type pump and put it on. Just replacing the gasket makes no sence because the gasket isn't for sealing gas anyways, only oil. If gas reaches the mounting gasket then the pump diaphragm is leaking and the pump must be rebuilt or replaced. As for electric it is again your choice. The mechanical pump does everything normally needed. If you were installing a bigger carb you might want an electric but the original will normally be all you need. Also with electrics you get into wiring, plumbing, mounting bracket, producing proper fuel pressure, etc. Hope this helps.

I Leak Oil
04-09-2013, 04:43 AM
If your pump has the glass sediment bowl then perhaps it just needs to be snugged up a bit.

mearstrae
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Also, if it was leaking at the mounting gasket, it might have leaked fuel into the engine. Check to see if the oil is contaminated with fuel, you should be able to smell it on the dip stick.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

jac04
04-09-2013, 12:04 PM
... is it worth trying to rebuild it ($24 for a genuine kit) ...

Watch out for the diaphragm in the Genuine rebuild kit. Last I knew, they were made incorrectly. The metal shaft is on the wrong side of the diaphragm, so the 'cup' is too big for the spring and does not hold it centered. (I assume you are looking at Trevor's web site - if so, look carefully at the pictures, they show what I am talking about) I found this out when I rebuilt my fuel pump. Also, the valves inside the pump can be a real PITA to get out and re-installed correctly. Unless you are looking for something to do, you may just want to get a replacement.

cedryck
04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Should'nt be leaking at all.Tighten the finger thing at the bottom, and go around with a flatblade to the screws on top, they do bugger out, and don't pump like they should, make sure the bowl has not shifted and leaking at top, good luck,

2manykids4a7
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks to all for the advice.

I should have realised that if it was fuel leaking it wasn't the gasket, in the clear light of day that makes complete sense!

I'm pretty sure everything was tight and nothing has been nibbled. Lines are metal and the bowl was on good and snug.

I did have a few minutes to look at the pump and I think that fuel is finding its way under the diaphragm. If I am right in my understanding (not necessarily a good assumption) there is one small hole in the lower half of the pump that lets air in and out under the diaphragm. Once the pump was out I worked the hand lever a few times and it appeared that fuel was leaking from that hole as well as coming out of the pump as it should. When I removed the pump I remember thinking that the little bit of oil that came out from the block wasn't normal (seemed less viscous that I expected) which I guess could be another indication that gas is leaking down through the pump. I should also say that when I did my cursory check of where it was leaking it did seem to be in the area on the bottom of the pump rather than around any of the connections.

That said, here is what I am thinking.

1. Just in case, put it back together and check where the leak is. Pretty sure this is overkill but it shouldn't take long.
2. If I am right that the pump either needs rebuilt or replaced. I will replace it (the old pump will be kept for rebuilding in the future if I ever get time)
3. I guess an oil change would be in order too.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks again, Steve..

2manykids4a7
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks to all for the advice.

I should have realised that if it was fuel leaking it wasn't the gasket, in the clear light of day that makes complete sense!

I'm pretty sure everything was tight and nothing has been nibbled. Lines are metal and the bowl was on good and snug.

I did have a few minutes to look at the pump and I think that fuel is finding its way under the diaphragm. If I am right in my understanding (not necessarily a good assumption) there is one small hole in the lower half of the pump that lets air in and out under the diaphragm. Once the pump was out I worked the hand lever a few times and it appeared that fuel was leaking from that hole as well as coming out of the pump as it should. When I removed the pump I remember thinking that the little bit of oil that came out from the block wasn't normal (seemed less viscous that I expected) which I guess could be another indication that gas is leaking down through the pump. I should also say that when I did my cursory check of where it was leaking it did seem to be in the area on the bottom of the pump rather than around any of the connections.

That said, here is what I am thinking.

1. Just in case, put it back together and check where the leak is. Pretty sure this is overkill but it shouldn't take long.
2. If I am right that the pump either needs rebuilt or replaced. I will replace it (the old pump will be kept for rebuilding in the future if I ever get time)
3. I guess an oil change would be in order too.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks again, Steve..