PDA

View Full Version : Hood/Bonnet differences??

kwells
04-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Can someone clarify when the year or model changes have some series hoods with the "straight" front edge and other have a more "rolled" front edge. I cannot seem to figure it out because I have seen the straight edge on early series IIs as well as series IIIs, with the "rolled" edge any year in between. Thanks in advance for any input. :confused:

kwells
04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Also are the two interchangeable??

SafeAirOne
04-10-2013, 06:58 PM
I think it depends on what options package the rover was ordered with. Some are "deluxe" and some are "regular". So there WOULD be both styles available over a fair spread of years. Not sure when they started offering the "deluxe" package.

Oh...and "yes", presuming you are staying within the pre-SIII and SIII groups (hinges different on SIIIs).

Boston
04-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Also are the two interchangeable??

Yes

stomper
04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the rolled edge on the bonnet was specific to the station wagon models only. All others got the razor bonnet.

kwells
04-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Sorry for my ignorance but station wagon meaning?

kwells
04-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Meaning full hard top and not pickup??

stomper
04-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Station Wagon, meaning 4 individual jump seats on a SWB, interior door cards, tropical roof, station wagon swing out door on the back, and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

Utility models had a standard, non tropical top, no alpine lights cut into the rooftop, bench seats in the rear, a clam shell rear door, no door cards, and basic slab seats in the front.

Escargo
04-11-2013, 06:20 AM
My '64 lla 88 hardtop (non-station wagon) came with a rolled edge Deluxe bonnet. It was a Canadian truck if that makes a difference.

Cutter
04-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Yes the deluxe hood was an option so it can be found on other models as well. There were so many variations in Rovers in ROW, my Swiss "utility" 109 regular has the deluxe hood, a sun screen but no vents and no headliner.

TeriAnn
04-13-2013, 10:38 PM
The deluxe bonnet was a standard on some deluxe models and an option on all the other models. The deluxe bonnet could be ordered with or without a dished spare tyre mount. My 1960 109 two door came with a dished deluxe bonnet

A hood is a canvas roof for a vehicle. It is held up by hood sticks.

Les Parker
04-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Nice edit !!

:thumb-up:

Bonnets are for Easter and keeping the engine dry, hoods are for Robin's and keeping the back of a pick up dry

nantley79
04-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the rolled edge on the bonnet was specific to the station wagon models only. All others got the razor bonnet.

I have a utility model SIIA 88 and didn't know there was a difference in rolled edge or razor edges. I assume I have the razor edges since it is the utility model. Does anyone have a picture of each?

SafeAirOne
04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Does anyone have a picture of each?

The first post in this thread contains examples of both.