PDA

View Full Version : manual crank handle location

Walker
04-14-2013, 05:24 PM
I know it's been talked about before but can't find it on a search. Does anyone have pics of where the crank handle is located in a Series III? When I got my truck it was placed under the rear bench seat but rattles like Hades in my ear. Any help is much appreciated.

Art

jac04
04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
No picture, but on an 88" it should be located behind the front seats, on the front bulkhead of the tub. There are 3 clips that hold it in place.

busboy
04-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Mine goes through a hole slightly off center in the front bumper.;)

Walker
04-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Oh, man. It must be one of those days. Just tell me you don't drive with it in the hole. :rolleyes: Jac04, can you give me an approx location of where the clips are? The PO on mine removed a bunch of stuff and I'm still sorting things out.

mearstrae
04-15-2013, 08:44 AM
On my Series III hi-cap, it's on spring clips behind the front seats, on the bulkhead. These look like the old push clips you'd use to hang up a broom, but a bit smaller.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

yoc
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM
My series 3 model 88 deluxe which I'm the original owner came with the crank and jack handle attached with clips behind rear bench left side

TedW
04-15-2013, 10:24 AM
My series 3 model 88 deluxe which I'm the original owner came with the crank and jack handle attached with clips behind rear bench left side

Can you post a picture of how the clips are positioned? MY 1970 IIA has the crank and jack rod mounted behind the front seats - using the aforementioned clips. It is a royal PITA to get to them, and even worse putting them back. Mounting them behind a bench seat would seem to be much more convenient - seeing how you have a SIII, the gnomes at Solihull must have figured out (late, alas, for most of us) that there was a better place to put this stuff.

Ted

busboy
04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Oh, man. It must be one of those days. Just tell me you don't drive with it in the hole. :rolleyes:

Sorry couldn't resist ;) but you already had your answer. I moved mine when I installed a custom front bench seat I now just store it behind one of the rear seats. The original clips do seem a strange layout but the screw holes should still be there.

siii8873
04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
I have had 2 SIII trucks, one had it behind the front seats and one behind the back left bench seat. Both with the type of clips noted above.

Walker
04-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Mine does have the spring clips behind the left rear seat so this may be original (?). I did once see a guy drive off from a car show with the crank in the bumper but not in the pulley:p. I would post pics but haven't figured how to get them posted - file is too big and I ain't no tech savy geek (apologies to all geeks). Thanks for all the info. Now to silence the frackin, rattle.

PavementEnds
04-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Here are 2 photos of the brackets that sit behind my left rear seat and hold the starter handle and the shaft for the jack. I suspect you'll find that the holes for the brackets are already there. My rear seats are not currently installed. I've added a rubber matt so the black labs don't slip around on the too smooth surface when they hang their heads out the side window. 8087 8088