PDA

View Full Version : Tire help

kwells
04-15-2013, 07:26 PM
I am putting new tires on my 65 IIA. I love the look of the deestone D503, I believe the correct size is a 7.5 X 16. Would the correct metric conversion be a 235/85R16?? Does anyone have any experience with the BFG mud terrain km2??? does anyone have any general tire recommendations, your 2 cents is appreciated :thumb-up:

siii8873
04-16-2013, 06:34 AM
search tires, there is a few threads on this

o2batsea
04-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Yup 235 85 16. The KM2 tires are very good. Like all mud tires they don't do well on pavement and wear like crazy. You might get 20K before you have to replace them. Off road they sing like the angels.
A really good compromise tire is the Goodyear Dura Trac. The tread is aggressive and they look good on a rover. Good on and off road although not as aggressive as a true mud tire. The 235s fit well and with a 32.5 diameter they do help get the truck up in the air. I put a set on the last Range Rover I sold and the new owner likes them.
I got them on line at a terrific price.
You can maybe go just a smidgen larger with a 245. Bigger than that you may have trouble with rubbing at full lock and or articulation.

cedryck
04-16-2013, 09:50 AM
I put the KM2 on my ex Mod 2a. Love them off road, on road not the best, and I do hear they will wear fast, but so did my mud terrains on the D90. The KM2 are durable, too, my friend had them on a disco and was not nice to tires, lots of rubbing the sidewalls against tree trunks and stones, no flats ever.

smukai
04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
I've been running the BFG ATs for 12 years here in Colorado. I've been super happy with them.

However, I have been hearing fantastic things about the new Goodyear Duratrac. Definitely check those out before making your decision.

Good luck!

ArlowCT
04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
People that have run multiple types of mud tires tend to love the KM2's. From what I hear compared to other aggressive tires they are quieter, last longer, and have tons of grip. They also have great inroad manners for a aggressive tire. Plus they look great.

swbseries
04-16-2013, 10:51 PM
I have a set of 4 Nearly New BF Goodrich 235/75/15 All Terrain T/A Tires mounted on powder coated limestone rims. Rims are not perfect, have some nicks and scratches from storage. But tires have less than 10 miles on them, if that. $600 I'm in Nassau County. I can email you photos if you're interested.

NC_Mule
04-17-2013, 06:55 AM
+1 on the duratracs. Have about 6,000 miles on them and they show zero wear. They have been fine off road but I just haul logs out of the woods I'm not blasting through mud or climbing hills. Excellent in the snow. Made in the USA.

kwells
04-17-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm 90% sure im gonna go with the Interco TRXus in a 235/85. I like the skinny aggressive mud terrain look. Im not too concerned with highway noise or wear. Anyone had any experience with these??

cedryck
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Yes Kwells, my friend had these on his discovery that was used extensively off road. With a locked rear differential the discovery loved these Interco tires, I almost put them on my series truck. Again this driver was rough on tires and visited rocky sections frequently, never flatting or coming off the rim at lower preasures. Good luck.

stomper
04-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I think I leak oil has these on his series.

REDrum
04-17-2013, 08:30 PM
I've run all the tires noted above. FWIW, here is my two cents

For off-road wet and snow conditions Truxies are amazing. But wear fast (<30K tires) and are tough to get. Interco is very sporadic on production. I could not find a set of 5 two months ago.

If you are off road <50% Id recommend Duratracs, I'm on second set. When aired down they are pretty damn close to the performance of KM2s but ride on tarmac better. Not great in snow, despite what people post, people who have never run snow tires before....

For primarily off road use the KM2s are great and readily available, I run 255/85s on my FZJ80 and 235/85 on my RRC. Lock-up on gravel is amazing, and aired down they stick very well. In fine wet silts not so much....(well what does....) No experience on sand. Noise on tarmac is not bad.

BFG ATs, 30 year old technology. But wear like iron. Ran'm on my K5 Blazer for years, never again...

You might want to explore FS MTs in 235/85 too, nice ride ok in snow.

jcutler
04-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Anybody ever try Power King Premium Traction or Super Traction? They're bias ply tires that come in the 7.50-16 size for those who are sticklers for originality. Available online for $125+shipping or locally for $154-161+tax.

Revtor
04-18-2013, 01:14 PM
wider is better for sand, narrower tires are easier to turn and look more "Series Rover".

ThePhotographer
04-18-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm on my second set of Km2s, the first were 265 75, the new ones are 255 85. When they are worn, old, and abused they get very loud. The new ones are very quiet(relative to M/T) and a blast on or off road. One thing I love about Km2s is their sidewall, it doesn't roll like cheaper tires around corners. They do wear however, quicker at first and slowly until your M/ts are more suited for autocross.

jac04
04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Anybody ever try Power King Premium Traction or Super Traction? They're bias ply tires that come in the 7.50-16 size for those who are sticklers for originality. Available online for $125+shipping or locally for $154-161+tax.

I had Power King Super Tractions on a 63 88" that I restored. I really wanted that 'old school' aggressive tread look. The tires were good off road, but on road they handled poorly and were very noisy. Best thing I ever did was take them off and put on some radial 7.50x16 tires.

jcutler
04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I had Power King Super Tractions on a 63 88" that I restored. I really wanted that 'old school' aggressive tread look. The tires were good off road, but on road they handled poorly and were very noisy. Best thing I ever did was take them off and put on some radial 7.50x16 tires.

Now that's a rare bird. All the 7.50x16's I've found are bias ply. Where did they come from?

SafeAirOne
04-18-2013, 10:41 PM

I used to run the Super Traction in 900x16 on the Jeep M715 I had. They did well off-road. I seem to recall that they wear pretty quickly. I think I'd only get 2 or 3 years out of them--maybe 20k-30k miles.

jac04
04-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Now that's a rare bird. All the 7.50x16's I've found are bias ply. Where did they come from?
Well, it was a long time ago, so the Dunlop Radial Rover AT was still available in 7.50x16.
If you are looking for a radial 7.50x16, keep an eye out for a set of Michelin XZLs. I'm running them on my Lightweight - mainly because I wanted a military tire. Probably not a good choice for a daily driver.

Jim-ME
04-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Yup 235 85 16. The KM2 tires are very good. Like all mud tires they don't do well on pavement and wear like crazy. You might get 20K before you have to replace them. Off road they sing like the angels.
A really good compromise tire is the Goodyear Dura Trac. The tread is aggressive and they look good on a rover. Good on and off road although not as aggressive as a true mud tire. The 235s fit well and with a 32.5 diameter they do help get the truck up in the air. I put a set on the last Range Rover I sold and the new owner likes them.
I got them on line at a terrific price.
You can maybe go just a smidgen larger with a 245. Bigger than that you may have trouble with rubbing at full lock and or articulation.

I don't know where you get your OD from. It looks to me like you're about an inch off.
Jim

rwollschlager
04-19-2013, 02:55 PM
I couldn't find the interco truxus available locally or else I would have gone with them. Instead I went with the KM2's, which I like better than my old Super Swamper Tsl's. The Km2's don't make any noise until 45+ mph, and if I'm driving above that speed in a series for a long time I wear ear plugs anyway. Much better road manners, and equally awesome off road as the tsl's. I would get them again. I currently have a set of 33x10.5 on my 88.

-Rob

Jim-ME
04-20-2013, 04:41 AM
How did you squeeze that size on your standard 15" rims. Did you buy replacement wider rims?
Jim

Billy5
04-20-2013, 12:21 PM
i have Dunlop Mud Rover 30 x 9.5 x R 15 that the PO of my truck put on. I like them. Little noisy but I am happy.

cedryck
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Rob I have the same tire on my 88, Except on a 15 inch rim., and they are 31. I like them very much, I am not concerned about road noise, I mean it a loud truck anyway, off road great, and the onroad manners are good I guess.

rwollschlager
04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
How did you squeeze that size on your standard 15" rims. Did you buy replacement wider rims?
Jim

No, I have the stock 15" rims. I used to have a 32X10.5 super swamper mounted on them without issues, so I figured the bfg's would hold up fine too.

1961 109 WAGON
04-23-2013, 07:39 PM

I have them on my 109. Love them!8112

1961 109 WAGON
04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm 90% sure im gonna go with the Interco TRXus in a 235/85. I like the skinny aggressive mud terrain look. Im not too concerned with highway noise or wear. Anyone had any experience with these??

I went with these on my 88 station wagon , size 255/ 85/16, there a little heavy, but do great on and off road with little road noise 8113

vkjar
04-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Toyo MTs would be another good choice. Been considering them for my 2a. I run them on my f350 in 35's and will get at least 60k out of them. They are quite on the highway and have done well in every condition I have put them Through from black ice to sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC_Mule
04-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Don't forget about made in the USA
Commercial light truck
Love my Duratracs, killer in the snow. Never had them in the mud.

edit
ha-ha, old thread. O well I never miss a opportunity to plug made in the USA

REDrum
04-27-2014, 07:48 AM
No offense but NC snow and Canadian snow is different. I have owned two set of Duratracs and find them unacceptable for full on winter use in new england. They are great AT tires, and ok for shoulder season (and perhaps incidental mid atlantic snow), but just an average all season tire capability when rain goes through phase change. After the second snow fall this past November even my wife was "can we swap out the Duratrac to snows this weekend, they are down right scary in the snow"

The Firestone MT I run on my '76 88 perform noticeably better in the snow than Duratracs, and come in 235/85/16, which is near perfect for series trucks, albeit they are made in Canada not US :)

The other very good performing snow and mud tires are the Super Swamper SSRs, even better than the Firestone MTs. I had an opportunity to try them this winter in the snow and was very impressed. They are going on my UZJ100 next, and they are made in US.

NC_Mule
04-27-2014, 11:59 AM
No offense taken. Tires are like oil everyone has a favorite.
I'm at 5,500 feet so winter is not a "shoulder season" this winter we had 76", last winter was 105" a few before that was 180". Not trying to compare snow totals with the NE just saying I'm on snow covered mountain roads on a regular basis.
I stand by my experience and say they have been excellent in the snow for me.

http://www.booneweather.com/Almanac/Beech+Mountain+Snow

pb

No offense but NC snow and Canadian snow is different. I have owned two set of Duratracs and find them unacceptable for full on winter use in new england. They are great AT tires, and ok for shoulder season (and perhaps incidental mid atlantic snow), but just an average all season tire capability when rain goes through phase change. After the second snow fall this past November even my wife was "can we swap out the Duratrac to snows this weekend, they are down right scary in the snow"

The Firestone MT I run on my '76 88 perform noticeably better in the snow than Duratracs, and come in 235/85/16, which is near perfect for series trucks, albeit they are made in Canada not US :)

The other very good performing snow and mud tires are the Super Swamper SSRs, even better than the Firestone MTs. I had an opportunity to try them this winter in the snow and was very impressed. They are going on my UZJ100 next, and they are made in US.