PDA

View Full Version : 2.25L engine rebuild

kwells
04-19-2013, 01:01 PM
The motor is a little noisy on my '65 IIa. I thought it was valvetrain but it might be coming from the bottom end. Its only making noise at high RPM and under load, nothing at idle to about 60% throttle. If I have to get the motor rebuilt, is there any other options other then turner?? Who is the best in the states or better yet close to NY to rebuild my 2.25L petrol??? I do not mind shipping the motor to a reputable place. Suggestions???

I Leak Oil
04-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Honestly any machine shop that rebuilds motors can handle it. There is nothing special about a rover engine as far as machining it and assembly. You may want to provide the shop with a list of parts vendors though.

albersj51
04-20-2013, 12:12 AM
I Leak Oil is right...I took mine to a local machinist who did the machine work, except the camshaft bearings/camshaft. For some odd reason, no one in my area was willing to line-bore the cam bearings to size, so I ended up driving it an hour and a half to get it done...funny part is, he didn't even need to resize the bearings!

I had no experience at the time, but a friend helped and it turned out well. But, if you don't want to DIY it, just about anyone can handle it.

Billy5
04-20-2013, 12:25 PM
There several machine shops that might want to do it. A few of them are racing shops, but they could help. There is also a shop out in the Hamptons that does foreign work, not that it should make a difference. I may do mine myself it all depends on how confident I feel.

superstator
04-20-2013, 12:27 PM
I think our hosts can usually get the precision-fit bearings that any decent shop can press in.