PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Refurb - Any One Do It?

amcordo
04-25-2013, 12:14 PM
There are posts on here about doing it. I'm not looking to do it myself, but rather I want to know if anyone on here is willing to do it for me? Let me know your price!

Mine is just suffering from the usual sticky situation that eventually develops on all of the S3 wheels.

artpeck
04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
After doing a lot of reading I took mine off. Cleaned it with a mild solvent and buffed it with fine steel wool. I then painted it with a paint specifically for plastic and it has been great since. Wasn't hard at all.

jac04
04-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Just bring it to your local body shop. Have it prepped & painted with a high quality urethane automotive paint.

airbornrover
04-29-2013, 09:51 PM
If I remember correctly there is a shop/company in the UK now that is taking old steering wheels and making them new. Like Artpeck said just take it off sand it down, making sure to grind or sand into the cracks/splits. Then fill in with epoxy, sand everything down, wipe down. Last is hit it with some epoxy paint a few times and it will look good. I used rustoleum epoxy spray can stuff that is used on appliances.

rwollschlager
04-29-2013, 10:39 PM
you can finish it off with one of Ike's sweet covers when you're done

busboy
04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
I recently chipped my steering wheel and have been wondering what to do as it too could do with a make over. After reading the replies here it seems that the paint is not that important. So far we have a paint for plastic, a urethane automotive paint and an epoxy paint. I do have some black urethane auto paint I could use but that needs to be clear coated to finish, I do have clear coat but not sure about clear coating the steering wheel or perhaps that's exactly what it needs to protect the paint from wear. I could give the clear coat an "orange peel" effect or perhaps not as that would tend to show wear more.

Eric W S
05-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Repainting the wheel will not stabilize it or prevent any future rot. The bakelite is degrading. Painting it does not stop that. You need to send it to someone who will recast the wheel in a poly plastic. That is the only long term solution.

amcordo
05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Eric - that's what I was thinking. I think I"m going to have it chemically dipped to remove the bakelite stuff, then I'll find somewhere to dip it.

westcoastkevin
05-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Or you can do it at home.
http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=5696.msg36664#msg36664
I sent you a PM Anthony too.

amcordo
05-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Your box is full.

Or you can do it at home.
http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=5696.msg36664#msg36664
I sent you a PM Anthony too.

westcoastkevin
05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Not any more. I did not realize.

Revtor
05-02-2013, 05:00 PM
hmmm bakelite is pretty stable stuff. You really think you have to remove all of the plastic from the wheel and remold a whole new rim? Seems drastic. Like just get another wheel drastic.

I would at least try some wet sanding, epoxy, more sanding, and then a good paint job first. then if you decide the wheel is toast, you can spend and have the whole thing remolded, or just find another in good shape.

Donnie
05-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Check Hemming's, there are guys in there that specialize in steering wheel restoration......Donnie

hankster110
05-04-2013, 10:31 AM
My Banjo wheel was sticky and degrading, I put one of Ike's covers on it and Bob's Yer Uncle. Worth every penny.........

Hankster110

Eric W S
05-10-2013, 10:35 AM
hmmm bakelite is pretty stable stuff. You really think you have to remove all of the plastic from the wheel and remold a whole new rim? Seems drastic. Like just get another wheel drastic.

I would at least try some wet sanding, epoxy, more sanding, and then a good paint job first. then if you decide the wheel is toast, you can spend and have the whole thing remolded, or just find another in good shape.

It's not Bakelite. It's similar. If it was stable, it would not rot and come off in your hand.

Drastic? Common place in a proper restoration. Other marques do it all the time - from Land Cruisers to Mustangs. Problem with decent wheels to replace one is they are hard to find and cover a good deal of the cost to recast a wheel. Mosat are running about 100 for a decent wheel.

Eric W S
05-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Check Hemming's, there are guys in there that specialize in steering wheel restoration......Donnie

Be careful. Most of those guys go the epoxy and paint route and most state specifically they won't warrant their work for very long. SO you can do the same thing yourself for much cheaper.

I Leak Oil
05-10-2013, 11:05 AM
I think the solution depends on what your goal is. I know, amazing conclusion huh? If you're looking to restore your truck and looking for an original look, fit and finish then by all means have one recast.

If you're like most owners and just don't want to scrub the black stuff off your hands then epoxy and paint will probably be fine and will in all likelyhood outlast your ownership of the truck. It's kind of like a Toyota owner buying one because it may last for 250K miles. That's fine but the vast majority of people never own the vehicle for that amount of time or mileage and never see that particular benefit.

I just put a cover on mostly because it's easier to get a grip on the wheel when my hands are wet or dirty. Has worked fine for me for a long time now.

I Leak Oil
05-10-2013, 11:15 AM
It's not Bakelite. It's similar.

I think it's some special blend of goat crap, Scottish hay and London steet sweepings!:cool:

AustinK
05-10-2013, 01:37 PM
I just replaced my Column and wheel with one from Flaming River. My wheel was in good shape - 74 series III. If you want to replace drop me a line.

Eric W S
05-13-2013, 02:15 PM
I think it's some special blend of goat crap, Scottish hay and London steet sweepings!:cool:

Amen.