PDA

View Full Version : 1987 LHD 90 2.5TD - SOLD

Broadstone
04-26-2013, 07:14 AM
1987 Rust free, factory Left hand drive 90 2.5 turbo diesel.

Located in northwest Connecticut, zip code 06790.

Asking price $23,500, Please see photos.

Offered for sale due to upcoming move overseas in Aug.

This vehicle is an original Rest of World (ROW) spec. Land Rover (Defender) 90. This is not a U.K. spec. truck. We purchased this vehicle in person in April 2012 and imported it to the United States ourselves in Aug. 2012. We have all documentation to prove it has entered legally. It is factory left hand drive and not a RHD to LHD conversion. It is a civilian model as sold new by the Land Rover dealerships and not an ex military version. Seating and seat belts for 5 people. Has factory power steering. It is a quality original example that has been very well cared for and maintained by its previous owner. Decoding the vin number confirms that this vehicle is as original and correct today, as it was when it rolled out of the factory on March 27, 1987. Vin number reads as follows SALLDVAB8AAXXXXXX (X used in place of its six digit serial number). More vin number decoding info here http://www.expeditiongear.co.za/cu5/...%20Number.aspx Perfect original chassis and bulkhead. Engine was fully rebuilt two years ago (7500 miles ago). Transmission and transfer case rebuilt 2003 (40,000 miles ago). We have put around 2000 miles on it in the past year we have owned it, most of which was before we imported it. Always garaged until the new tires were installed two weeks ago, and unfortunately it will no longer fit in the garage. Very comfortable to drive and we use it only when the roads are dry. This is absolutely NOT a project truck, it has been well looked after its entire life. It is very clean and has been given everything it needed for both repairs and maintenance. This truck is pretty much free of oil leaks and usually only has 1 drop from the gearbox after a good run, (I check every time I drive it). Cruises happily and comfortably at 70MPH. It is ready to go anywhere and be enjoyed.

Chassis is completely rust free and entirely original, with NO part of it having ever been replaced, or in need of replacement. Most importantly this chassis is NOT repaired, patched, or a new replacement one. Chassis condition is easy to see because it is clean and does not have a freshly applied coat of horrible waxoyl or paint attempting to prevent rust or cover up flaws. It has its original factory stamped chassis number (with the British Leyland logo) fully legible on the front right frame horn and on the brake booster.

Engine is the original 2.5 turbo diesel (19J) engine as installed in 90 and 110 models from 1986-1990. Its odometer as of today reads 361,322 KM (224,515 miles). This original engine was completely rebuilt 11,000 KM (7,000 miles ) ago in July 2011 when odometer read 350,000 KM (217,500 miles). I have receipts for rebuild parts and some photos from previous owner. We purchased it with 359,000 KM on the clock (223,000 miles). Timing belt done at the same time as engine rebuild. Runs perfect. Turbo spools up as it should and sounds great. Exhaust is like new, having been replaced in 2011. Glow plugs were new genuine LR and put in a month ago. Radiator was new in 2011 and temp. gauge reads accurately. Oil cooler new in 2011. Starter new in 2009. Silicone turbo pipes 2011. New power steering pump in 2003 .All other new engine parts are listed below. Some smoke on initial start up but after about 20 seconds I give it some throttle, let it idle back down and it clears up. This truck cruises smoothly, quietly and comfortably at 70 mph and will easily go faster. It is very peppy. There is no downshifting necessary on even the longest hills. This is NOT a slow poke, you can pass people and keep up with (most) traffic, I promise. You will also be able to have a normal relaxing conversation with your passengers while going 70 mph on the highway, WITHOUT SHOUTING.

Gearbox is the original stock 5 speed Lt77 with Lt230 transfer case, both were rebuilt in 2003 ( have receipts) and has done approx. 40,000miles since. Based on receipts it looks like the clutch was new less than 30,000 miles ago. Shifts and runs perfectly and quietly with no grinding or strange noises and never jumps out of gear. High/low and difflock all work as they should. Has power steering. Has its original stock front and rear axle, front disc brakes and drum rears. Raised air breathers on both axles. U-joints replaced in 2009. Steering swivel balls are in perfect shape with no pitting or rust. All brakes function properly and brake lines are rust/corrosion free. I just replaced the right rear wheel cyl. due to it having a slight leak. Has 2" suspension lift with low mileage since being installed in 2007. Has a steering knob which makes for fast easy turning, I use it all the time. Parking brake functions properly and holds tight.

Body is in good shape in its original ivory color. There is no corrosion, or rust/rot on the front door skins or door frames. Drivers, passenger and rear door seals are pretty new. Previous owner told me both front doors, rear door and the front outer wingskins had been repainted. Roof, bonnet and tub paint looks to still be in good original condition. Roof is the original ribbed type with ventilators at the rear. Wheel arch spats are new. Front door hinges have been replaced with new zinc coated ones painted black and have new stainless steel hardware. All glass is good and has no cracks. Load area has sliding windows that do not rattle but could do with new felt. Window tracks on front doors are new and both roll up and down as they should. Doors open and close properly and all locks work with the same key. There are a some marks and light creases on the right side of the tub but nothing that bad. Hood (bonnet) frame is rust/rot free. New stainless steel hardware where tub bolts to rear crossmember and on rear door hinges. Has spare tire mount on rear door. The rear door does show some slight fatigue on the interior and exterior below the glass which I assume is from from having the weight of the spare mounted. Rear door is still in good condition and does not need to be replaced. Rear door has the mounting holes for a wiper and washer jet though they are not fitted, and the interior door trim is not an original one but looks nice. Two sets of keys, lockable fuel cap using same key as the doors.

Bulkhead (firewall) is completely rust and rot free. All areas of this bulkhead are in great condition, including footwells, door pillars, pillar feet, top corners, vent area and under windscreen. Most importantly there are NO patches on the bulkhead or footwells. Previous owner did paint the footwells with a brush in the past, though this has likely helped to keep them in such great shape. One small dent on drivers side upper door pillar but not very noticeable. Vents open and close as they should. Not much else to say really because its in great shape.

Interior is pretty much original. Odometer is original and in KM and not MPH. It is simple to convert KM/H to MPH and easy to get used to. It has had the seats replaced with non Land Rover ones. I find these seats extremely comfortable and will be installing the same type of seats in another truck. I have driven this truck comfortably for 8+ hours in a day. I understand replacement seats in these trucks can be a matter of opinion but these are the best I have had in a defender. Seats sit higher and offer more padding, and most important to me more leg room. These seats have 3 different adjustments. All seat bases are fully removable just like genuine ones would be to access the battery compartment or seatbox covers. There are no rips in driver and passenger seats. It has its original center seat with lap belt. Driver and passenger door cards are the original style and not reproductions. Passenger door has an opening where a speaker would go, but it is covered with a patch. I have tried to locate an original used one to replace it but as of yet I have not gotten one. Has new Mud U.K. flexible interior pull handles. Seat box has no corrosion. Original full front to rear headlining with no rips or sagging. Center bulkhead and tunnel area have the original black rubber soundproofing/trim. Rear load area sides and rear bulkhead are carpeted. Rear tub floor is original and corrosion free, covered with a removable rubber mat. Back has two new folding jump seats made by Exmoor trim with new seat belts (lap belts). Front rubber floor mats match the rear load mat. Will also come with a second set of thicker mats for the driver and passenger side though they are a homemade type.. It has a radio installed with flip front and tape deck inside with two speakers mounted in headliner by the driver and passenger seat belt mounts. Radio antenna is mounted on the driver side wing top and is small so I added some wire to it to help with reception but works OK. Heat blows hot. Heater fan works but only has high speed. Truck has a battery isolator switch located through the driver side seat box with removable key which turns power to the vehicle off at the battery. Battery was new in 2011 and under seat battery box is original and has no rust/rot. Has a dash mounted gauge (land meter) to indicate pitch and roll of the vehicle. Dashboard top padding has two small splits in it, one by each defrost vent. The dash gauge surround has a small crack/repair at each side but overall its in good shape.

Exterior has 5-bar chequerplate bonnet and wing top protectors along with rear tub protectors. It has a raised air intake (snorkel) mounted through the DS wingtop vent, not sure who it is made by but truck has a few small stickers on it with "S3". Snorkel pipes are quite durable being made of aluminum and it has a plastic intake top. Truck has heavy duty galvanized jackable sills painted black. The three under tub supports are completely rust and rot free. Has genuine LR light guards in both front and rear, though the rear ones have a bit of the coating bubbling up with slight rust that has been coated with paint. Passenger side front wing indicator is new though I ordered one for the DS, it got lost in the mail somehow. Front side indicators have light guards also. Rear wheel well area has splash/mudguards to protect wiring/lights on the rear underside of the tub. Has a front A bar with Pro comp spotlights in good working order and very bright, new in 2008. All light lenses are in good shape. Has an aluminum front steering guard skid plate. Has two plugs with mounting brackets for trailer wiring. Plugs are not mounted to the rear crossmember, just tucked up behind the rear crossmember out of sight. The trailer plugs look to be correct from the factory, and not a horrible splice job. Actually all the wiring is clean and original with the proper connections and is not spliced or rewired. Galvanized front and rear differential guards. Rear mudflaps (left one has LR logo, right one is blank) with new mounting brackets and hardware. New wheelarch spats. 16"Alloy wheels from a Range Rover classic that are in good shape with the spare having the most scrapes on it. Lug nuts were all new in 2007. Has 1.25" wheel spacers both front and rear. Tires are brand new Cooper discoverer ATP 265/75/16 with only 150 miles on them, installed on April 15 2013. Comes with original jack in its case stored behind the seats. Comes with an owners manual.

My wife arranges and performs the import process herself. She has all of the documentation proving this vehicles legal entry into the United States. Vehicle has DOT, EPA, and Customs clearance/release forms proving that it has met each agencies regulations and/or exemptions to be permanently imported into the United States. We also have a British motor industry heritage trust certificate for it based on factory records, which states this vehicle left the factory on March 27, 1987. It has a clean CT title in my wife's name, in her possession, and is currently registered and insured. It is titled, registered and insured as what it is, accurately and correctly. Title has the following information. vin number, year: 1987, make: LNDR, model: 90, body style: UTIL, cyl: 4, new/used: USED, Title number: XXXXXXXXX, Date of issue: 12/03/2012, odometer reading 360,878(KM) Owner: my wife's name and address. There is nothing about this vehicle, its documentation, or it's title that needs an explanation or has a "story". I have been honest and as thorough as possible in my description because we are very serious about selling. We want anyone interested to get a good idea of its condition and its features to determine if it is the right truck for them. I am happy to give more photos or information should anybody require them. I am available for viewing and encourage anyone interested, or close enough to take it for a ride. This truck will drive anywhere and I may consider delivering for a fee based on location.

Thanks for looking, Chris

Following parts are new and most I have the receipts for.

5 new tires Cooper Discoverer ATP (april 2013)
Gen. LR glow plugs (April 2013)
front and rear doorseals
Exmoor trim foldable jumpseats
Front and rear wheelarch spats
Driver and passenger door window tracks
Front door hinges zinc coated 1/2013
Hood release cable 1/2013
Front door stainless steel hardware 1/2013
Rear tub to crossmember stainless steel hardware 1/2013
front fender side indicator 1/2013
Parking brake rubber boot 1/2013
Mudflaps and brackets 11/2011
Air filter 1/2013
oil and filter 1/2013
Radiator 7/2011
Engine oil cooling radiator 7/2011
snorkle top 4/2011
Head gasket and top end gasket kit 4/2011
Bottom end gasket kit 2/2011
main bearings 4/2011
thrust washers 4/2011
pistons and rings 4/2011
connecting rod bearings 4/2011
muffler 4/2011
tailpipe 4/2011
silicone turbo pipes 5/2011
all fluids renewed 11/2011
battery 4/2011
U joints 5/2009
Starter 11/2009
Procomp spot lights and relay 2/2008
+25mm shocks and springs 6/2007
complete set of wheel nuts 6/2007
complete gearbox and transferbox rebuilt 2003

Chaser4837
05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Vary interested, I'm not far from you.Pls contact me via email baglaxmg at aol dot com
Thanks

Broadstone
05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Truck is sold! Thanks