PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump losing siphon

tzerrer
04-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I have a 73 series 3 with an electric fuel pump. If I park my Rover for a few days I seem to lose the siphon to the fuel tank and the pump is not strong enough to prime it. I have a new fuel filter, if I blow through the line I can hear the fuel bubble. If i put gas in the carb she starts right up. Help please. Thanks...

busboy
04-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Check the tightness of the lines going to the tank on the suction side, the pump will draw air easier than a liquid but not necessarily leak fuel.

ArlowCT
04-27-2013, 01:47 PM
How close is your pump located to the fuel tank? Most electric fuel pumps push better than they pull. I have mine mounted to the frame rail right beside the fuel tank now. I used to have it mounted up in the engine compartment had a lot of the same problems.

tzerrer
04-27-2013, 10:39 PM
I checked the tightness of the lines and they all seemed tight. My pump is in the engine compartment and I will move it closer to the tank.

ArlowCT
04-28-2013, 07:28 AM
If you plan on moving the pump it may make sense to install a brand new one. I find I get 1-3 years out of mine before issues arise. I usually go with the low pressure generic pump from one of the big box stores. It's nice knowing if it goes south I will be able to source a new one wherever I am, plus they are usually around $20-25 which I think is a good deal.

tzerrer
04-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!